Chapter 17: Heart On Fire

Chapter 17

I gently turned around, and to my relief I saw the culprit was none other that Beau.

"Emery?" Beau asked in confusion.

I felt my heart beating a mile a minute as I began to cold sweat. "Beau, hey what are you doing here?" I nervously asked.

"I think the real question is why are you here?" He countered.

"Thane sent me." I answered quickly, "He's umm...busy with alpha stuff in his office and sent me to get something from down there." I nodded towards the Crypt.

"Why would he-" Beau began.

"It's not very polite to question your Luna." I said a bit rudely and felt extremely guilty about it right after.

"I'm sorry Luna." He looked down when he apologized.

"Why are you here Beau? Did Thane send you?" I hesitantly asked.

"No actually," He looked nervous as he lowered his voice, "today when the rogues attacked I caught the most magnificent scent in my life."

"I don't understand." My eyebrows furrowed in confusion because obviously I didn't catch what he was throwing.

"After Thane took down the pack of rogues I lost her scent and followed it back here. I know it's her, I know my mate is down there." His revelation shocked me.

"So why are you just standing here?" I asked exasperated.

"Only Thane, Lucas and a few other pack members are allowed down there. I can't go if the alpha isn't there." He explained anxiously.

"So why didn't you inform Thane?"

"Because Thane never shows mercy to rogues. I know that he would never kill my mate but I also know that if he finds out he might throw my mate and I out of the pack faster."

"He wouldn't do that." I shook my head as if I knew Thane better than anyone else.

"Yes he would. The previous alpha did it before him and Thane wouldn't think twice before following his father's footsteps. I was actually surprised to hear that he stopped the torturing." He looked frustrated.

"Listen," I grabbed his hand, "You and your mate are going to be together and as long as I'm here, you both will be allowed to stay here and remain apart of our pack. You're family Beau and your mate will be as well."

"But how-"

"I asked for the torturing to stop and he complied so I will ensure Thane allows you to stay."

"How are you so sure?" He looked like he was on the brink of tears.

"Because I am the Luna and it's my duty to protect everyone." I looked at him to make sure he was assured.

"I think the duty is actually the other way around." He commented as I glared at him. "Can I meet her?"

"Once I bargain my way in we will be in the clear." I grinned at his confused expression as I turned to Atticus who was approaching us.

"Luna." He greeted in a formal tone of which a soldier possessed.

"Atticus, Thane sent me to collect some important documents he have kept in the Crypt." Luckily my voice didn't waver as I tried to sound diplomatic for the first time in my lie.

Atticus gave me a weary look and I felt as if I was betraying him because honestly I was. His job was to follow his alpha and protect everyone and there I was being an insolent child. But my motives changed, I wanted to find Beau's mate more than anything.