Sixteen

Cass.

I had just gotten off the phone from my father, his long chats definitely taking a toll on me. He was just about to depart from the airport to Australia, where he had been going on for so long about how he would love to visit. And because what an interest the continent is to him.

Ever since I was a child he would always talk about the Australian plains and how lively the place was, expansed with free land and animals that roam around and not to mention the damn kangaroos. It was a pain to hear him go on and on about it. But I am quite certain that once he sees the truth behind the myths then he would be slightly disappointed.

I slumped on the one-seater, placing my phone on the coffee table and just sighing; loudly. The events that happened just a mere fifteen minutes ago played in my mind, and now it's consuming my thoughts.

Something that seems to be troubling me is that if the phone had not rung then would we have taken it a few steps further? He must've felt the way the mood shifted to an uncomfortable aura when his hand moved to my bra, fumbling with the clasp. Because he stopped then, removing his hands from under my shirt and resting them on my hips.

His actions have now left me in a haze, obviously he had experienced these things before but the way his chest rose and fell dramatically showed just how caring he was, and a little part hoped it had been because of me.

I had felt the growth in his jeans which had me even more aroused than I would have liked to been, and his soft groans were just replayed in my mind like a broken record. But despite the encounter we had, I'm worried about him. Worried about what troubles him even though I will try and not meddle, I still care about him. About anyone at the office.

-

It's just past nine, the whole expanse of my apartment is dark besides the lighting which illuminate and reflect off of any polished surface. There was a large crackling noise just outside the door of my flat, and it had been going on for the past ten minutes although I tried not to pay any attention to it.

My neighbours had always been the eccentric type. I had been warned by the landlord about their odd ways, as nice as they were they were definitely known to be bizarre. Just the other day when I came home from grocery shopping I bumped into Rose whom was planting Rosemary and Thyme on a bright orange yoga mat. Had she been successful? No. Had it rose an unrecognisable and almost suffocating stench? Yes.

But the cracking kept going, which then turned into scrapes. Like nails or something sharp was being dragged along the wall. I pressed my ear against the door, silently cursing for not having a peephole installed but remembering my slight fear thanks to Dad. I refuse to look through one, ever.

The noise became louder and louder until it neared towards where I was, and just stopped. I wasn't even able to hear anybody breathing, let alone moving. There was nothing to do but wait, and I would be lying if I said I wasn't the least bit scared. I pressed my ear against the doorframe even harder, emitting a slight creak that had me wincing.

Then, without any form of subtly, a loud knock sounded. I stepped away from the door and for some odd reason raised my hands. I moved further away from the door to the stools situated in the kitchen.

"Is there anybody there?!" A panicked voice sounded on the other side of the door. "Please, please I need your help. Help me, please!" They continuously pleaded. It was a man, a man whom sounded afraid and in fear of something.

"I know you're in there, help me!" The knocking became louder and louder, and as much as I wanted to open the door for a panicked man my legs just wouldn't co-operate with my brain.