One

a/n; i wrote this when i was a smol, and have had many instances when i've thought of deleting it... but it's not my place to set preferences on what you should or shouldn't read. if you like it then that's cool, and if you think it's shit then that's cool too. happy reading (:

~

5 months earlier..

Cass.

There comes a moment in life when you stop to think, where you're headed and what journeys and risks you're willing to take. Leaving home was one of the biggest risk I had to make, leaving my father alone, away from the suburban life and into the city. It took me two weeks to settle in, to get used to the new lifestyle, but I feel like I've let a big part of me when I left home. Or what used to be called home.

This is my home now, living in a regular flat, in a regular city, with regular people doing normal everyday things. Dad didn't want to let me go, he had made that mistake once with Mum and wasn't willing to repeat the situation, but I told him it was different, I was leaving to pursue my dreams and continue with my life. And I couldn't do that in a small town. I felt like I was confined and trapped but now I feel free. And freedom is mighty sweet.

One phone call had changed everything for me, in the best way. After months and months of searching and hoping, I was reached out. A position at Metro Inc. as a columnist. A dream come true? Yes. But when Dad found out it was out of town he wasn't all that enthusiastic about the idea. Hell, I'm a 20 year old, who lived with her overprotective father, I had no freedom. He seemed to have some sort of obsession and thought that the world was dangerous, that whatever lurked around was out to get you. His paranoia was too much to handle and it became suffocating.

So here I am. Getting ready for my first day at work. I was excited, but had the sudden fear that I'll pee my pants as soon as I arrive, or throw up. I'd never had a serious job before this, this opportunity to write for the Metro. Un-bloody-believable if you ask me. I think I had everything I needed, keys on the dining table, handbag, and a small case consisting of my laptop, stories, and a shit-tonne of papers.

There was a knock on the door, but before I could answer it the door swung open.

"Hello? Cass?" I smiled and watched as our eyes met, "Well don't you look stunning."

I blushed as he made his way and held me in an embrace, "Good to see you Niall, it's been so long."

"3 years. That's too damn long if you ask me. You've gotten taller, finally that growth spurt kicked in," he laughed and raised his hands as if he wasn't to be accused of anything, I couldn't help but join him and laugh along.

"Good to know you're still the same asshole."

"Ooh, ouch." He placed his hand over his heart as I rolled my eyes. "You're gonna be late at this rate, and being late on your first day isn't exactly a great impression. Now hurry your arse woman!"

Such a complete idiot, I wanted to tell him, but knowing Niall he would keep this argument going on forever until I surrendered, and I couldn't afford to be late. I grabbed my coat and keys while adjusting my skirt and heels before heading out. Niall laughed softly watching me hurry all over the place before managing to lock the door after my many attempts and dropping my keys 3 times.

The elevator ride wasn't as quick as I hoped it would be, especially with the horrible lift music. Niall stood there tapping his foot and glancing at his watch every now and then.

"So are you excited to start your first day as a columnist?" He had asked me as the elevator dinged and the doors slid open.

"Excited, nervous, scared, happy, I have a strange feeling I'm going to shit my pants any time soon." I laughed nervously to try to calm my nerves, but that did nothing.