Chapter Two: Becoming an American

When I woke up, it was to the sound of Teenagers by MCR blaring from my cellular phone. I groaned and rolled over, seeing it was ten fourty-two. I yawned, then I stood up, walked to my dresser, and answered the call.

"Hello?" I asked groggily.

"Gray!" my best guy friend, Richard, from England yelled. "Hey!"

"Hi, mate," I said, smiling. "What ever is your reason for calling?"

"Wanted to make sure my best friend didn't die on the plane," he said, shrouded in sarcasm.

"Damn! You figured out this is a brand new voice answering machine that'll have a conversation with you!"

He laughed. "How are you, mate?"

"Just horrid. America's so hot! It's so different than Wales! I might actually have to buy shorts!"

"God forbid!"

I laughed now. "I miss you guys like crazy already."

"We miss you too, Gray," he said regretfully. "But! Have you made any friends yet?"

Suddenly, I heard a tap on my window. I brushed it off. "Yes."

Yet another tap, and another. I walked to the window and caught Richard mid-sentence. "--and Veronica is bloody dying without you. She came over last night and--" I saw Andy, standing on the sidewalk in front of my house, throwing pebbles at my window. I smiled.

I cut Richard off. "Hey, can I call you back, love?"

Dripping with sarcasm, he said, "Pfft. I see how it is. Old friend isn't a match for new friend."

Another pebble. "That's not it! I just gotta' go, okay?"

He sighed. "Alright. Bye, Gray."

"Bye, Richard." I threw my phone on my chest in the corner, then I lifted the window up. It took a minute, since it was heavy, but I got it.

"Hi, Gray!" Andy called up, waving his arm widely.

"Mornin', mate," I shouted back.

"Get dressed and come down!" he yelled. "And dress lightly! Where we're going, it won't be much better than it is out here!"

I groaned inwardly, then I yelled, "Alright! Give me a minute!"

I shoved the window back down, then I went to the closet and grabbed down a plain black v-neck and pulled it on, then a pair of torn-to-shreds, black, skinny trousers. I put my leather belt with real bullets attached to it on. I found my dad's old work boots and slid those on finally. My dad has small feet, and I have slightly above average, so yes I wear his old boots. After doing my hair and make-up, I went back down the stairs, grabbed an apple, and popped out the door.

Andy was drawing something on the cement with a piece of chalk. I looked down at it, and it was the Batman symbol. "I bloody love Batman," I told him. "I'd wank him in a heartbeat if I could."

He looked up at me and smiled. "You'll learn that I have somewhat of an obsession with Batman," he laughed.

I smiled down at him, then I held out my hand to help him up. He took it and brushed himself off, then he threw the stick of chalk back in the box of chalk that was in the neighboor's yard. "Shall we go?" he asked, jutting his elbow out for me to take.

I smiled at him, taking his arm in my own. "Yes we shall."

He smiled, then he started walking us in the opposite direction of his house, heading towards the park. "So where are we going, mate?" I asked.