15. Riding Shotgun With A Maniac On The Road To Crazy (END)

15. The Break Up and Endings

It's time. I've had a night to think about it and I discussed it briefly with Nixon. He just wants me to do what I feel is right.

To tell you the truth, now that I look back on everything, being with Spencer has never felt quite right.

I plan on going to him today, but I have a couple errands to run first.

I ran to the hair salon and dyed my hair back to its original brown. Then I went home and got out my glasses I had been neglecting.

I didn't change everything back though. I wear less makeup, but still some. Just eyeliner and mascara.

When it comes to my clothes, I've toned them down too, so that now I'm fashionable, but comfortable. I wear what I want.

I slipped on my vans and drove to Spencer's house. It's now or never.

I knocked twice then I heard someone coming to the door.

It whipped open to reveal Beth. "Hey darling!" She said hugging me. I felt a pang of sadness suddenly. Beth has always been so nice.

"Hey."

"Come in! Spencer will be down in a minute."

"Thanks."

I went and sat on the couch to wait.

A few minutes later I felt the couch move next to me. I looked over and saw Spencer looking straight ahead.

"Hey." He said.

"How's it going with Valerie?"

"Fine. She came over and played with Marie for a little while. It wasn't as bad as I thought."

"That's good."

"So, what did you come by for?"

"Spencer we have to talk."

"I know." He said sighing and looking down.

"June told me everything."

"She told me last night."

"Well Spencer, for a while I didn't know what to think."

"And what do you think now?"

"I think...we should just be friends now."

I saw him cringe a little. "You're breaking up with me?"

"Yes." I said looking at him. "There's not much else I can do. Spencer, I can't look at you the same after this. You lied to me. I was just a game to you."

"Only at first! I-"

I stopped him before he said anything else. "Spencer, I really like you, but that was just going too far."

"I know."

"I'm sorry."

"I am too."

I stood up. "I guess I'll see you around."

He stood up too. "So what are you going to do?"

"What do you mean?"

"With life?"

"College. Job. Family. The whole shebang."

He chuckled. "That sounds nice. I guess I did mine a little out of order." He said referring to Marie.

I smiled. "She's great though. I'm going to miss her."

"She'll miss you."

"Bye Spencer."

"Goodbye Pen."

He wrapped his arms around me tightly and I felt a huge pang of sadness. Despite the fact that I'm so mad at this guy, I'm still really going to miss him. He's funny, sweet, and caring. But in the end, I don't have feelings for him anymore.

He let me go and I could actually feel tears welling up. It's almost the end of summer. Everyone is going off to college or something, and I'm going to miss my now ex boyfriend the most. How ironic.

I finally got out of there before I actually started crying.

I sat in my car and took a deep breath. Then was startled by the sound of my phone going off.

I looked at the caller I.D. It was Nixon.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Come to the park bench we were at last night." Then he hung up.

That was a little weird, but I did as he said and made my way to the park.

When I got there I didn't see him anywhere, so I sat on the bench and waited. All of the sudden I saw him walk out from behind the tree right next to the bench holding a rose.

I smiled and walked up to him. He handed me the rose.

I smelled it and it was beautiful. I looked at the note and smiled. "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

I looked up at him, but before I could utter a word his lips were on mine.

His kiss was so sweet and tender that when he pulled away I was upset.

"You're you again." He said referring to my re-changed look.

"Well, not completely. I mean I am me, but I don't think I could ever go back to be the lonely little girl I used to be. I never knew what it meant to have real friends and have a boyfriend and have fun doing crazy things. I did change for a while, but not for the better. Now that I've toned down the change, I think it was for the better in the end. I couldn't go my whole life being that girl. I never realized how lonely I really was. If that made any sense let me know." I said chuckling.

He caressed my face lightly. "It did. I understand completely. And I will be with whatever Penelope you want to be."

I smiled. "You're still on trial basis. So don't get ahead of yourself."

"Too late." He chuckled. "So Miss Penelope, would you please do me the honor of going on a date with me tonight?"

"Yes."

We began dating and soon he asked me to officially be his girlfriend. I quickly accepted.

June and I made up and were back to being best friends.

Spencer and I were a little awkward for a while, but soon it melted away and we were poking fun at each other and having a good time once again.

I finally went off to college. Nixon actually had gotten into the same school at me and I didn't even know it.

I kept in touch with June and Spencer. He would send pictures of them all and of Marie. She's getting so big!

Spencer didn't go to college because he needed to raise Marie, but he had the five million and invested a lot of it. He's very well off now.

I've been saving the five million, investing, and being extremely frugal. I am well off now and it's been two years.

Nixon and I are still dating and going strong.

He asked me to marry him the other night and I accepted.

We're now in the starting gate of planning the wedding.

I know it's going to be beautiful and we're going to have a very happy life. He's exactly what I want in a guy.

Life's crazy and you go on some pretty insane rides, but the craziest is when you're riding shotgun with a maniac. It never goes quite like you planned.

**Hope you enjoyed Riding Shotgun With A Maniac On The Road To Crazy. =) I have a new story coming out soon. =)**