CHAPTER SEVEN ━ FAREWELL BROTHER DEAREST

(chapter seven.) farewell brother dearest
❝ I WAITED... HE NEVER CAME HOME.❞

☂

POET WAS KEEPING DIEGO COMPANY IN THE POLICE STATION, picking her nails. But while she did so, she was noticed a couple rings missing. She chuckled breathlessly.

"Klaus, you stupid bastard," she mumbled, shaking her head before staring back at Diego, who was still cuffed. "So, your ex-girlfriend's a badass."

Diego ignored her, remembered that he wanted to ask a question that had been bothering him based on the information that Poet told him three hours ago.

"You had a twin brother?" He questioned, staring up at the girl. Poet looked at him, looking away and nodding. "What happened to him?"

Poet sighed. "He decided to enlist. Decided to fight for our country because he believed that if he went to the field, he would feel more of a hero than a monster like he usually felt."

"Where?"

"Afghanistan," Poet replied. "He was a marine."

"Why didn't you go with him?" Diego asked. Poet looked up the ceiling, biting her bottom lip.

"It wasn't my choice," she answered. "He left during the night and left me a letter, only telling me he won't see me for a while. His girlfriend told me that he had told her in person and she couldn't stop him. So, I decided to take care of her because she was 5 months pregnant and we waited for his call." Diego saw her blinking away the tears. "He finally called and he confirmed that he will see us in a while and that he hoped he will be there for his baby's birth. He came back and stayed for a week. He then left for another year. And then another. And then we waited and we waited... He never came home. But I knew he was on the field, fighting so I didn't give too much thought on it. After all, I didn't know how it worked. But then, my doorbell rang. My brother's girlfriend, my nephew, and her parents were there with me to talk like we usually did. We didn't know what to expect."

Diego looked at his shoes, listening to every word she was saying.

"There were notifying you about his death," Diego nodded. Poet nodded as well, sniffling.

"It was nerve-wracking," Poet started to explain. "Two guys, one of them was my brother's friend. They took asked to come, I let them. My brother's friend looked like he was crying and he didn't dare look at me. They sat down, they looked at us and stated their names and said, "The commandant of the Marine Corps has entrusted me to express his deep regret that your brother, Julian, was killed in action in Afghanistan on April 1, 2007. He was killed when he was protecting one of our men and he was shot..." The man took a deep breath and continued on." The Commandant extends his deepest sympathy to you and your family in your loss." My brother's girlfriend ended up committing suicide a week later."