Chapter 5

"Foggy, seriously I'm fine."

"Just give me another-"

"Franklin Nelson if you don't step away, I'll hit you in the dick so hard you'll never be able to have children."

Foggy takes a hurried step back as Pete laughs quietly in the background. Karen and Matt have locked themselves in his office, leaving the three of us alone in a destroyed waiting area. There was an annoying and obvious tension between Foggy and Pete. The men stood opposite of each other in the disheveled area, angry stares being shared. Pete crossed his arms, leaning against the wall comfortably.

After Matt, Foggy, and Karen busted in to find the office in disarray; chaos ensued. Pete had made eye contact with each figure, his gaze holding Karen's the longest. Matt's body language was strange. He was poised as if he were ready for a fight to ensue. Once Foggy finally caught a glimpse of my figure behind Pete's, he rushed over. His face full of worry and despair, grabbing my face between warm hands. That's when the interrogation began, with Matt and Karen silently slinking off to his office.

Silence filled the seemingly cramped room, until Matt opened his office door. The squeak from old hinges catches everyone's attention as Karen walks out confidently. Her heels click rhythmically against the hard wooden floor. Occasionally a small piece of glass would crunch beneath the heel, creating a new musical number. Matt follows close behind, head straight with unnerving stillness.

Karen walks right up to me and I gulp loudly. A floral scent flows between us, and her smile is blinding. Well here goes our confidence. She grabs me by the shoulders and pulls us both into a warm embrace. Reacting more surprised than I should've I hugged back too enthusiastically. She pulls away, keeping her hands planted firmly on my shoulders.

"Charlie, I'm so excited to meet you. Foggy has said so many great things about you!"

"Uhhhh-h-hey?" Was all I could muster before Matt breaks the uncomfortable situation with a clearing of his throat. All eyes fall onto Matt as he steps into the center of the room. His suit jacket has been removed, a white long sleeved button up covering his torso. His tie has been loosened, hanging freely about his neck comfortably.

"Charlie can you come stand over here please?"

"Uh, sure? Everything okay Matty boy?" I question, stepping cautiously around Karen's slim body. Matt motions to the spot behind him and in front of now Foggy. The journey to this spot seems endless and foreboding. The eyes of Pete burn into the back of my head as I shuffle by. While walking past Matt, he uses his arm to guide me safely behind him. This is really weird. Weirder than usual. Weirder than probably the ninja cheerleader.

"Why are you here?" Foggy addresses Pete who has yet to move from his position.

"I need the help of my favorite lawyers, jackass." Pete quips, finally removing himself from the wall. He stands tall and confidently as he sizes up both Matt and Foggy. Matt visibly tenses up, stealthily shifting his body further in front of mine. We should say something.

"Anyone wanna explain to me what's going on?"

The question hangs strangely in the air. Everyone but Pete shifts uncomfortably while glaring at one another. Foggy places a hand on my shoulder, but I ignore it, keeping eye contact with Pete. Karen moves over to Pete, moving her hair behind her ear in the process. He stands a little straighter as she takes a similar stance to the one Matt is in.

"Frank needs our help, it's what we're here to do."

Whose Frank?

"Karen, you know we can't do that. Not after what he's done." Matt's voice is forceful and sincere. There is no hesitation while he speaks, no trembling in his voice. The response was confident and completely sure. Matt wasn't wavering on his stance, and to be honest it was bone chilling. It was also really hot.