Chapter 4

"Uh, are you gonna listen to that again? It's the sixteenth time you listened to it lady."

Pete was right. The song repeated again for now the seventeenth time as I sit crossed legged on the floor. The soothing melody from The Animals escapes from my phone, filing the office with loud music. Ya know, this is like a movie. Imagine, the camera rising up to the ruined office with this playing in the background. Charlie we have a great imagination! Shut up!

"Listen here you lumberjack looking, James Bond mother fucker; if you don't like it either close your ears, or um I don't know, shut up."

Granted the comeback wasn't great but after what just happened, I'm surprised I could even talk. Within twenty-four hours I've almost been killed twice. Twice! The room is still filled with a type of tangible electricity, which makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end.

After the attack, Pete had decided it was probably safer for me to sit than stand. Once he had helped me to my feet, my legs gave way. My mouth opened and closed, a wordless conversation trying to happen as he assured me everything was fine. After placing me back on the floor, he went to survey the area street-side. Once he left it felt like an actual eternity before he returned. The quiet office was almost suffocating as I sat alone. Where's Daredevil when you need him? Is he bullet proof? Is Pete really a lumberjack James Bond? Feeling panic begin to rise from the pit of my stomach, I scramble for my phone. Checking out the Tony Stark background, I quickly open my music and start playing "House of the Rising Sun". Ever since Foggy and I were kids, this song was our constant go to in times of stress.  Once Pete returned he gave a funny look before taking in the damage of the room.

"Look, Charlotte-"

"Dude if you call me Charlotte again, I will throat punch you."

Pete smirks at the threat before clearing his throat. His large arms cross against his torso while a hand goes to his face. Rubbing the beard covered jaw, he gives a crooked smile.

"Right, right, Charlie. Okay Charlie, can you turn that shit off so we can talk?"

Hitting pause, you glance up at the tall man in front of you. He's removed his hat, revealing a mop of half curls the color of ravens feathers. He doesn't look stressed or flustered anymore, he looks more angry than anything. I could see his jaw visibly clenching as he examines my small form still seated on the old floor. Taking a long pause and deep breath, Pete looks hard at me before forcing a smile.

"Thanks. So, are you-uh are you okay? Are you hurt or-"

"Lemme stop  you right there Petey," I interrupt, placing my hand up in a stopping fashion. "No. No I am not alright. Within the last twenty-four hours I have almost died twice. TWICE. First with that stupid ninja cheerleader, and now with a lumberjack James Bond. I don't know what the FUCK happened with this city."

"Hey-hey calm down. " Pete kneels down quickly, placing his hands gently on my shoulders. "Charlie, I need ya ta breathe okay?" Without realizing it, I had started hyperventilating. The pressure and firm contact from Pete's hands were comforting. He tucks a loose piece of hair behind my ear, while our breathing falls in syncopation.

"Atta girl."

The words are hushed and gentle, and Pete conveyed so much within the short sentence. His dark eyes examined every inch of my face, before smiling lightly. The corners of his mouth turning upward, making the smallest of crinkles appear beside his eyes. Pete's large hands fall from my shoulders, outstretched waiting for mine to fall into place.

"I got it, thanks though."

"Fine by me lady."

Pete steps away slowly, his hands up in a type of surrendering fashion. Rolling my eyes, I hoist my body up and catch my balance. Straightening the disheveled dress, the ripped hem catches within my fingers. The once smooth material is rough and wrinkled. The once unmarked shins are starting to discolor, the forming of a few bruises appear. My hair, once set stylishly and in place is now unkempt. The office itself is in an extreme disarray, with objects thrown about the rooms.

"Charlie, what do you mean 'ninja cheerleader'?" Pete questioned, keeping a comfortable distance between us.

"Ninja cheer- Oooohhh, Daredevil! Last night I was in the middle of a perfectly normal mugging, and this cheerleader in red saved the day."

Pete chuckles and clenches his fists. His whole demeanor changes at the mention of 'The Devil'. If I thought he was tense before, this must be a new type of physical emotion. Pete's stature changed, ready to pounce into attack mode if he needed to. Just looking at him gave me a thrill and a lot of anxiety. Moving forward slowly, I place a comforting hand on his forearm. The surprise Pete shows makes me smile as I try to calm him.

"Hey buddy, it's cool. He's not all that bad, and I mean he's not here so just calm down Petey."

"I just can't believe Red is back." Pete grumbles before taking a step back.

Hey, we called him Red too!

My inner monologue is interrupted by loud footfall. Muffled voices come from the hallway, and they're closing in quickly. Panic fills the area, and Pete and I exchange like glances. Fear and worry upon mine; readiness and worry upon his.. He movements were quick and precise, placing his body in front of mine. Pete's large arm wraps protectively across my front, and I can feel the sweat starting to appear. Our eyes are glued to the opening, and Pete moves his freehand to the inside of the grey hoodie covering his form. This is it

The door achingly swings open, barely holding on from the events of earlier. I anticipate shooting, screaming and a lot of pain. Nothing happens. Silence. Quiet enough to hear a fly hiccup. Realizing my eyes had closed, I force them open slowly. Pete's large body is still positioned protectively, so I have to stand on the tips of my toes to see the door. Pete stays stoic as I lift myself up and sigh lightly at the man in the door.

"Charlie, are you okay?"

"Hey Matt, yeah I'm fine."
**************************************