Chapter 3

"So, anyone gonna tell me who Frank and Karen are or

"So, anyone gonna tell me who Frank and Karen are or..."

The question hangs in the air as the two lawyers frantically grab their belongings. Foggy fumbles around his desk, looking for everything and anything that reads 'Castle.' Matt rushed into his own office, side stepping my fumbling best friend on his way out. The phone rings again, this time Matt answers quickly. The conversation is muffled over the rustling of paper work and loud cursing from Foggy. Frank Castle. It sounds familiar, like really familiar... A loud crash echoes into the room, and panic sets in quickly. Foggy and I exchange a quick glace before we rush into the waiting area. To our relief, Matt is still standing but the phone has been flung against the wall.

"Matt, what's going on?" Foggy rushes over, placing a supporting hand on Matt's shoulder.

I walk over to the phone, and pick up the machine from the floor. The old floor boards creak loudly as I strain to hear the conversation between Foggy and Matt. Their whispers blend together, making it impossible to decipher exactly what they were discussing. The word Dex was mentioned a few times, and the atmosphere in the room changed. A once bustling excitement changed to fear as they exchanged worried glances. Matt's breathing became heavy while sweat started forming on Foggy's temples. The walk past Foggy and Matt was uncomfortable. The tension between them and that conversation was palpable. The phone clinks quietly against the wooden desk. Before turning around and leaning against the desk, I cross my arms and hum in thought.

"Hmm, are we gonna explain what's going on, or are we going to act like I don't exist? Either way-"

"It's-It's nothing Charlie." Foggy interrupts before directing his full attention toward me. The anxiety and fear is evident on his face, not matter how hard he tries to hide it. He places a hand on Matt's shoulder, as if looking for support. A worried feeling starts to build in the pit of my stomach as I look into Foggy's eyes. "Um, Matt?"

"Right, Charlie would you mind staying behind while we go take this?"

"Actually, Matthew, I would mind. We're a team now and I deserve to be where the action is." The words fall like syrup, slowly and sweetly. As the words reach Matt he perks up when his full name falls from my mouth. A smirk ghostly appears, as if he's forgotten about any misgivings in the world. He shakes his head softly before positioning his body towards Foggy. The pulsating of a vibrating phone fills the silence and Foggy reaches into his pocket. He places his thumb against the screen before bringing the phone to his ear.

"Hey Karen... What do you mean he isn't there anymore? He just slipped-Karen calm down. Okay, Matt and I are on the way." Foggy pulls the phone away, his words ice cold as he addresses the room. "Charlie you have to stay here, Matt we need to go."

"Fog, what's wrong?" I question, uncrossing my arms to grasp his hand. The skin is cold and clammy. My eyes flick toward Matt, waiting for him to question Foggy as well. He stays silent, head hung so hide any emotion his face may give away.