Chapter 4 ~ Love is Weird

My breath caught in my throat when she smiled at me. I’d never felt like this about anyone before, I mean maybe a little, but not with the intensity I did when I saw her. I hurried to meet up with her.

  “Should we drop off our bags at your house?” She asked.

  “Sure.” I replied and we walked down the sidewalk together. My mind had been swimming with imaginary conversations all day, but I found myself without anything to say as we made our way to the Kame game shop.

  Luckily, she stroke up conversation halfway there to break the awkward silence, “So you really live at a game shop, huh?”

  “Yeah, the second floor is the living quarters, and the first floor is the shop. It’s not too big and is a little cramped, but it’s home. We also sell artifacts my grandpa found when he was younger, like this puzzle.” I stated, showing her the Millennium Puzzle around my neck.

  “Oh, that’s really cool. I was wondering about that, but I figured something you just picked up in a thrift shop or something.” She shrugged and blushed slightly.

  “Tristen did say it looked tacky…” I mumbled.

  “Hm?”

  “Oh, nothing.”

  “Oh, ok.” She said, and then looked ahead, “Is that it?”

  “Yeah.” I said with a nod. She grabbed my hand abruptly and tugged me along with excitement to the door.

  “This is it, the big unveiling.” She whispered, “Now I know where you live, Yugi, better lock your doors at night.” She giggled with a wink and opened the door; the bell above the door noisily announced our arrival.

  Grandpa came out from the back to greet us, “Good afternoon, I see you’ve brought a friend, Yugi.”

  I laughed nervously, “Yeah, this is Cassie. She’s new at school.”

  “Nice to meet you.” Cassie stated with a polite smile, “I really like your shop.”

  “Thank you, so are you two already dating?” Grandpa questioned.

  We both turned beet red. I replied with gritted teeth, “Grandpa, of course not, I just met her.”

  “I’m sorry; I just caught up in the love at first sight and all that. You’re a real cute young lady, Yugi would be lucky to have you.” Grandpa said with a wink.

  Cassie laughed nervously.

  “What about that Yami, though?”

  “I don’t know what you’re talking about.” I said, still with gritted teeth, and reverted Cassie’s attention to the display cases filled with duel monster cards. We browsed for a bit and Grandpa stopped bugging us after that, so we left our bags in my room and headed out.

  “You know, I wasn’t going to bring it up, but I overheard you and your friends talking about me. At least Joey, I think it was, anyway.” She stated.

  I laughed nervously, “Yeah? Don’t mind him; he can be a real perv sometimes.”

  “Tell him I’m turned on by pictures of ducks or something ridiculous.” She giggled, “I’d love to see his reaction to that.”

  “Are you turned on by ducks?”

  “Of course, those feathers are just irresistible.” She giggled and linked arms with me, “Come on; take me somewhere interesting. You’re being a horrible date.”