20 | Lots of Nothing

Chapter Twenty | Lots of Nothing

Lots of Nothing by Spacey Jane

Milo's still got my coat in his arms and my bag over his shoulder when we get outside. I find myself hiding behind him, which must look childish to Atlas and Maxwell, but I'm too humiliated to act normal. There's still a puddle of hot chocolate on the sidewalk a few feet away, and I cringe away every time someone absentmindedly steps into it.

"Good to go?" Atlas asks, directing the question towards me. In a fraction of a second, I see his eyes flicker to my chocolate-stained sleeves.

I notice he takes a step closer to me, and with that a step closer to Milo, who whistles through gritted teeth.

"Actually..." he trails off, shooting me a questioning look.

I swallow. He takes that as an answer.

"Nova has to go."

Relief floods my senses. I didn't want to say it myself, but I'm also not okay with joining them for lunch right now. Not after what just happened, not after knowing they know. Maybe Milo could feel it when he held me just now while I tried not to cry into his shirt. He's been good at reading me since the moment we met.

"Oh." Atlas clearly looks disappointed. He exchanges a glance with Maxwell, who claps him on his back.

"We'll take a raincheck, then. Milo, you're still coming? Ramona and Liz just got to Tesselate Pit." Maxwell looks nonchalant as he says it, but I find that I'm caught off guard. When they asked me to lunch, I didn't know Ramona was going to be there.

Milo scrunches up his nose. "God, no, who invited Ramona? I'll walk Nova back."

I keep my eyes on my shoes as they talk, but it's obvious that there's eyes on me. I wonder what Atlas is feeling right now. I hope he understands. In any way, from a sort of selfish point of view, I'm just glad I've got Milo to hide behind.

They exchange some more words. Atlas stays quiet. Finally, he turns with Maxwell's hand on his shoulder and they walk off, stepping past my puddle instead of in it.

"Should we get something to eat?" Milo turns to me, his face bright and optimistic.

I shake my head, swallowing. Even though he's assured me it's okay, the feeling of humiliation tends to linger. I can feel its physical form within my limbs, tightening them, and inside of my throat. I feel okay hovering close to Milo, but if I have to be honest, I'd like to be alone to give us both (us all) a chance to forget what just happened. What I just did.

I tip my chin upwards and offer him a careful smile. "I really do have to go, I have a meeting."

"But you have to eat," he argues.

"I'm not that hungry."

He doesn't seem convinced. "This is the unveiling all over again. You have to eat regularly, Nova, I'm starting to worry about your habits." In a flash, his hand is pressed to my forehead, cool against my skin.