42 | Back For More

Chapter Forty-two | Back for More♫ Back for More by Nia Hendricks

Back for More by Nia Hendricks

It's strange to be back in the dining hall, the morning of the orientation day of Hyde's group, which he's decided to name Beyond Limits Student Association, or BLSA for short.

Unfortunately, he also reported that since it's a student association, most of the responsibilities of organizing the meetings and such have to fall onto an actual student, and he can no longer be the chairman. He will be our faculty advisor going forward.

Knowing him, this won't mean he's less active or involved. And I'm glad it doesn't. Hyde has become the face of our little meetings and he's hauled me through this year, even if he isn't very aware of it and insists on crediting anyone but himself.

"Are you nervous?"

Logan puts my tray of breakfast foods on the table and sits next to me with his own as Olivia takes a seat across from us.

Up until now, I've been doing pretty good. The speech was nothing but a scary thing somewhere in the distance— but then, in the middle of the night, I woke up and realized it was the morning of, and I haven't been able to relax since.

"You could say that," I say, eyeing the food he selected for me. A stack of waffles, a cup of fruit, a salad and a vanilla latte with a straw in it. It all looks great, but I cannot consume anything right now.

Logan nudges the coffee closer to me. "It will be fine, you just need to get something in your system."

"Do you know what my system consists of right now?" I ask him and Olivia, who's watching me as if I'm a ticking timebomb. "Terror."

He laughs, the sound escaping him as if he can't really help it. "Just eat, Nov."

I begrudgingly spoon some melon into my mouth, sulking in my seat. Maybe this wouldn't be so bad if I could at least relax a little, but my body is stuck today. It's like one of those phone stands with six slots, that you can pull from one slot to another, but nothing in between. My joints have slots today, and everything is difficult.

"We've decided that you just need something to look forward to after your speech," Olivia announces.

"Like what?"

"We... haven't actually thought of that," Logan grimaces. "Just know that something's definitely coming while we figure out what."

When I think of what would be a nice surprise, I can only think of one thing.

But it's been confirmed that Milo's not coming. As I knew he wouldn't. He's at this three-week photography retreat in Venice with a friend he made through his mother, which I know because it's all he posts about on his socials.

I briefly thought about telling him last night, when I was so restless in my bed. I even went as far as to call him and say hi, and then I heard the sound of laughter and water splashing on his side of the line and the sound of the smile in his voice, and I couldn't do it. I couldn't bring my negativity into his happy environment. I couldn't think of pulling him away from so much laughter.