41 | Graceland Too

Chapter Forty-one | Graceland Too♫ Graceland Too by Phoebe Bridgers

Graceland Too by Phoebe Bridgers

As the academic year advances, I'm proud to say that I'm doing just fine.

I've come to the realization that I'm lucky to have the resources I do, and that I should use them to my advantage. Resources like Flynn and Elle and their tiny apartment in Greenwich. Or Sofia and the fact that she's only one phone call away at all times. Resources like Logan and Olivia, who have bonded over their indecisiveness when it to their futures after our little ice cream trip that one day. And resources like doctor Hyde and our Monday afternoon meetings, in which no topic is too strange to discuss.

The latter has, however, changed. On a random Tuesday in April, Hyde sends me a long message that says,

"Subject: Exciting News and an Important Request!

Dear Nova,

I hope this email finds you well. As we wrap up the academic year, I wanted to take a moment to express my admiration for your incredible journey and the impact you have made during our support meetings. Your determination and positive outlook have been truly inspiring, and I have thoroughly enjoyed witnessing your growth and success.

From our very first meeting, I saw a young individual who exuded both fear and determination. Your unwavering hope for your time here at New York University has always resonated with me, and I have been rooting for you every step of the way. I vividly remember that September meeting when you connected with Isla, Emmy, and Philip. It was heartening to witness those friendships form.

What's even more remarkable is that you continued to foster connections throughout the year, forming friendships with Anita, Zahara, Josh, and Rashad. I must confess, I overheard your encouraging words to them during Suvi's recital, and I was deeply moved by your support. Your empathy and compassion made a meaningful impact on them.

I admit that a significant reason why I hold you in such high regard is that I see my own daughter reflected in you. Both of you share an incredible creativity and emotional strength that is truly exceptional. I hope that as my daughter grows older, she can develop the same confidence and self-belief that you have demonstrated. As I have mentioned before, I care for each of you as if you were my own. Please know that I am immensely proud of you.

On that note, I am thrilled to share some exciting news. Starting from the next academic year, NYU will officially recognize our group as a student association! This recognition comes with several benefits, including an upgraded lounge for our meetings, funding for field trips and guest speakers, and the opportunity to choose an official name and logo. I will discuss all these details in our next meeting, so make sure to mark your calendar. (Don't miss it!)

Now, the reason I am sharing this secret with you is because I have an important favor to ask. As a student association, we have been given the responsibility of organizing an orientation day for new and current physically disabled students who are interested in joining our group next year. This day will feature workshops, games, guest speakers, and most importantly, a speech from one or more members of the OG group.