Six

I couldn’t sleep that night. Nightmares had not plagued me for months, but the guilt from Jim and Esme’s deaths was gnawing away at my subconscious. When sleep proved ultimately and absolutely futile, at around three-forty-five in the morning, I ventured downstairs. Since the deaths, Jessica, Blake, and Ryan began rotating every night sleeping on the lower level to make sure nobody broke into the house or tried to kill me. The light in the living room was on, and when I peered inside, it was Blake sprawled on the couch watching TV.

            He looked up when I knocked tentatively on the doorframe, hand immediately going for his gun, but relaxed after he realized it was just me. “Ellie,” he said. “What are you doing up?”

            I shrugged, scratching my arm. “Couldn’t sleep.”

            “Is everything okay?”

            “Yeah, yeah, I just . . . nightmares, I guess.”

            Blake grabbed the remote and turned down the volume, patting the seat beside him on the couch. “I wouldn’t mind the company if you want to stay.”

            Smiling, I entered the room and perched on the cushion. “What are you watching?”

            “Fresh Prince of Bel Air. You ever seen it?”

            “No.”

            “Well, it’s hilarious. Have you heard of Will Smith?”

            “I think August might have mentioned him before.”

            “That’s because Hancock is one of his favorite movies. Do you want any popcorn? Something to drink?”

            I shook my head, pulling my knees into my chest as I sank back into the couch. “I’m fine, thanks.”

            He shrugged. “If you’re sure.”

            We watched an entire episode of his show in silence, interrupted only by him laughing when he thought a part was funny. I wasn’t focusing that much, though I tried. My mind was too occupied—always occupied—with the unfortunate present.

            And that nightmare.

            Although, I wasn’t sure if I would call it that. More like an extremely confusing dream, because in it was a woman. A woman I’d never seen before, or at least thought I hadn’t. I only ever saw her back, though, and she kept running away from me. Further and further away, and my limbs grew really weary, and then I just collapsed.

            And I woke up.

            I didn’t try to understand it.

            “Hey, Ellie? You’re supposed to laugh. It’s a comedy.”

            “Huh?” I looked up, watching the credits flash across the screen. “Oh, uh . . . sorry.”

            “Don’t be.” He muted the TV. “Everything okay?”

            No, not really, but what else is new? “I’m fine. It’s just the stress, I guess. Jim and Esme were really close to my heart.”

            “Yeah, that really sucks.” He turned to better face me. “I wasn’t all that close to them, but August said you were. I’m so sorry.”

            I shrugged. “It happens, as people keep telling me. People are going to die and there’s nothing I can do about it.”

            Blake playfully punched my arm. “If it helps, I think you’re pretty great.”