Two

They sent me out to do the monthly shopping.

They being Ryan and Blake, of course, because August was out with Jessica, and if August knew they sent me out alone into the city of Denver to collect everything we needed, well . . . he would have probably exploded.

I was trying not to spontaneously combust myself.

While the previous four months had seen promising growth in my social and emotional capabilities, they were still decidedly sub-par, and Ryan thought it the bright idea that sending me on my own for the day into a city with thousands of people would be the "push" I needed in the right direction. I hoped he was right. Aside from training instances at the safe house, I hadn't used my abilities on anybody. Feeling that sense of normalcy, however fleeting, made me happy.

But now, as I stepped off the bus and skidded through a muddy puddle of rain water, I was faced with reality; a very lonely reality, as I confronted the city of Denver by myself.

Great.

Crowds and I didn't always mix exceptionally well.

"Okay, Ellie," I mumbled to myself. "You can do this. Get the groceries, and get out."

But, the list was long, and had me going to more than one place, and if I made it through without curling into the fetal position-full-on hyperventilation included-that would be my greatest victory, yet.

My first stop was the local grocer. Blake was the official cook of the house, and he refused to cook with any vegetables that weren't organic, or any meats that were too processed. It cost more money, but they always had that money, and I never asked where they got it from. My only job was to get the stuff, which was hard enough.

The supermarket was bustling with people, which only made sense considering it was a Saturday. I clutched the list tight in my hand and surged onward, moving fluidly through the throngs of people. Luckily all the vegetables were in one place, so I threw the necessary ones into my basket and then moved on to the fresh meats.

"Excuse me," a lady said, pushing by me. I froze up for a second when her elbow jammed my side, but when she proved to be of no ill intent, I continued on.

Just a person, Ellie. No harm to you.

I wished I could always believe that.

The meats were less crowded, so I grabbed the steak and bacon and chicken without hassle. On the way to the check-out I snatched some herbal teas for myself and Jessica, and a packet of licorice for Augie. I'd seen him sneak some at midnight a couple times, and if I was correct, he should be about out by now. I smiled. He would enjoy the surprise.

The woman at the check-out greeted me as I put my items up to be scanned. I handed over the cash when necessary, and before I knew it I was standing outside with two bags of groceries and the warm feeling of success filling my stomach.

It was something to get used to.

My phone began buzzing in my pocket, so I moved to a nearby bench and sat down, placing the groceries on the ground so I could answer it. "Hello?"

"Ellie!" Ryan called. "So good to hear your voice! How's the shopping going?"

"Good! I successfully conquered the supermarket."

"That's awesome! So, uh . . . yeah, August is home, and he's kind of pissed. Just warning you now."

I frowned. "He is?"

"Yep. And currently pinning me to the ground right now trying to get the phone. I don't think I can hold him off much long-"

His voice disappeared, and there was some shuffling on the other end. Seconds later a different voice shouted, "What the hell were you thinking?"