Three

"Are you sure you want to do this, Ellie?"

I nodded, shaking out my arms and legs. The afternoon sun was high, but the air was crisp and biting. "I'll be fine."

Ryan grinned from where he was stretching his arms. "Yeah, August. Quit worrying. She's done it before."

"But not on any of us."

"That sounds like worrying to me."

"Shut up."

Jessica chuckled. She was sprawled out on a lawn chair with sunglasses, drinking some sort of alcoholic fruity blend. Blake stood nearby with a first aid kit in case damage control was needed. August hovered uncertainly by me, face pinched into an undesirable expression.

"It'll be okay," I assured him, nudging his elbow with mine. "I'm better. I can sort of control it."

August laughed nervously. "Sort of? Why doesn't that make me feel better?"

"Just get out of the way, babe!" Jessica called. "We don't need collateral damage."

Grumbling, August shuffled off to the side and perched on the edge of her lawn chair. They connected in a deep lip lock I had to turn away from, because it made my stomach burn in a horrible way I didn't like.

"Ready?" Ryan asked, pulling my attention toward him. I nodded once more and flexed my fingers, physically preparing myself for the strain mental manipulation put on the body.

"Ready," I replied.

"Awesome. Try something simple first, to get back into it."

So I focused on him; on all the molecules and bursts of life surrounding and inside his body. He stumbled backward.

"Good!" he shouted. "Do something else!"

I bit my lip. "I don't want to hurt you."

"You won't! So long as nothing happens to the goatee, you're good."

Blake chuckled as August muttered something off to the side. Jessica swatted the back of his head. I forced Ryan back two steps, nearly making him fall to the ground.

"More!"

I made him complete two solid backward rolls, after which our audience clapped and hollered and Blake shouted, "I think he's circus bound!"

And all the while Ryan laughed, urging me on.

They were simple things. I was done hurting people, or scarring them for life. When Ryan proposed I come out and practice my abilities on him, it didn't seem like such a terrible idea. But being in control again was dangerous. Like trying to harness a monster. It was unpredictable and hungry and unabated; it always wanted more.

I was tired of having to feed the monster.

"No," I whispered, though probably nobody could hear me. "I don't want to."

Ryan continued to cackle, like everybody else. "Come on, Ellie!" he shouted. "Hit me again! I can handle it!"

My fists clenched. I didn't mean to do it, but Ryan hunched forward, grabbing his stomach. When I realized he was in pain I immediately relinquished my hold.

"Woo!" he cried. "Good one! Do it again!"

I shook my head. "No. Can we please stop?"

"Come on, Ellie! I'm ready!"

Black was laughing at Ryan's antics, shoulders heaving. August was distracted by Jessica, the both of them talking on her chair. Nobody heard me. Why didn't they see how much I hated using my abilities? Why couldn't they see?