Mine

Use the following dialogue, in any order, in a short story / oneshot

"I'm not in a 'save the day' kind of mood."

"When I grow up, I want to be like (insert your own star / character here)."

"If I had a dollar for every time you said that!"

"Would I lie to you?"

"I love that colour on you."

There were only two things in the world that made Nick genuinely terrified and one of them was his mother with her hands on her hips, lips pursed, because that was when he knew that shit was going to go down. She wasn't usually strict with them which was why, on the rare occasion that she was, the whole family would walk on eggshells around her. But, considering he was four hours away right now, having just sat through one of Professor Piff's lectures on macroeconomics which had somehow turned onto the topic of her small vegetable garden, he wasn't afraid of her.

Instead, he was looking at his crazy ex of a boyfriend.

"Well, shit," he said because there was no way Max hadn't spotted him, considering he might've dropped all his lecture notes in surprise. And he couldn't exactly walk out of the coffee shop when he'd just stepped inside.

"Here, let me help you."

Hands gathered up his sheets, stacking them neatly, and Nick looked up, recognising the guy who always sat near the door, usually wearing headphones while he worked on his laptop. He was cute, Nick had definitely noticed that, and he wasn't going to turn down the opportunity to get away from an awkward conversation with Max.

"So," Nick said quickly, before he changed his mind about asking, "how keen are you on helping me out?"

The guy seemed more intrigued than anything else, leaning forward, "Yeah?"

"My ex boyfriend's the douchebag with the popped collar standing at the counter and I would really appreciate not having to talk to him today because I had to wake up at eight to make my lecture and I kind of look a mess."

"I don't know," he said lightly, "the blue hoodie works well, I love that colour on you."

He smiled, feeling slightly better, "Thanks."

"Come and sit with me," he said, kicking out a chair for him, "we can get out of the way of the door and, then, you have a reason not to go up to the counter just yet."

He took a seat, if only to distract himself from the fact Max's stare was burning a hole in his head, and started sorting through his papers, getting some semblance of order before he threw them into his bag.

"My name's Scotty, you're Nick, right?"

"Yeah, how'd you know that?"

"The barista calls your name when your coffee's ready."

Oh, that was a stupid question.

Scotty grinned goodnaturedly, "Don't worry about it, it took me a while to notice and that was only really because I thought you were ridiculously attractive."

If Nick had been drinking his coffee now, he would've choked on it, "What?"

Scotty blinked at him, all innocence, "What?"

"Did you just call me attractive? Like, you honestly think this," and he gestured to himself with his sleep-rumpled hair and stupid prescription glasses, "is maybe attractive?"

"Would I lie to you?"

"Well, I hardly know you."

"Yet, not two minutes ago, you were about to use me as a fake boyfriend to scare away your ex."