Library Bae

Alex had heard of pathetic fallacy, had spent the entirety of year eleven writing about it in his English GCSEs, and he felt it was grossly unfair that it wasn't in action today.

Because, despite being England, the land of miserable weather, the sun was out in full force. The temperature itself was somewhat mild since it was April but the whole campus looked pretty and they'd taken advantage of it. They were sat on the grass outside of the library, books and notes spread out around them, and the mood was light. It was nice, after all, to have everyone back from the Easter holidays, despite their impending summer exams.

Or it would be, if Scotty could shut up for a second.

"He said he was going to take me out for dinner. You know the new development in the city, with all the restaurants?" He didn't wait for a reply, continuing, "Yeah, they've got a Gourmet Burger Kitchen there and then we'll go get ice cream later."

Alex made a vague noise of interest, like he hadn't been hearing about this date for the past two days.

The girls, however, hadn't and they were genuinely curious. Claire and Tiffany had never been able to resist gossip and they leaned forward, abandoning all pretence of studying.

"Who is it?" Claire asked, "Is it hot gym guy?"

Scotty shook his head, "He's old news. This is a new guy I met on campus, my library bae."

"Your what?"

He shrugged, "You know, the attractive people you meet in the library when you're meant to be studying. We sat across from each other for a week and then he missed a day so, the next time I saw him, I asked him out."

"Aww," Claire cooed, "that's so cute!"

"What's his name?" Tiffany asked.

"His name's—"

"Marcus Heywood." Alex and Scotty spoke at the same time. Scotty looked a little surprised by Alex's interjection, opening his mouth to say something but Alex got there first, saying quickly, "Jinx!"

Scotty stared at him, mouth opening but no sound coming out.

"Oh my God!" Alex crowed. "If I'd known this was all it'd take to shut you up, I would've done it ages ago!"

Claire looked between the two of them, asking, "What's happening?"

"He's jinxed, he can't talk until someone says his name. It's bad luck," and, when Scotty looked like he was considering it, Alex added, "you wouldn't want bad luck when you have a date tonight."

"You're an asshole," Scotty mouthed.

Alex laughed, "I've had you distracting me with talk about Marcus ever since I came back to uni. Which would be fine, if you didn't keep going into explicit detail about his hands and ass. I do not need that!"

"Scotty here has a hand kink?" Tiffany asked, her face promising future teasing.

"Yeah. the worst, he's been torturing me with it. The least I can do is let him stew for a bit."

Scotty didn't agree with that, poking Alex every other second to grab his attention, but Alex had gotten pretty good at ignoring his best friend over the years. And there was the added fact that he did really need to study, because he'd neglected that when he went travelling for two weeks, which made it easy to block him out. He'd managed to get through a whole module's lectures by the time they were packing up and that was good for him.

"This was really helpful." He said, sitting up and stretching. "We should do it again. I always get distracted when I'm on my own."

"I think it helped that Sc- someone couldn't talk." Claire said, grinning when Scotty groaned.