Chapter 12

"Hello?" I mutter.

"Ethan?" A sorrowful tone, a jumpy tone. What's happened?

"Mom?" I can't help but panic. Bella stares at me wide eyed.

"I-I need y-you," my mother stutters through sobs.

"What's wrong? Where are you? Where's dad?" Worry withers through me.

"C-Come to t-the hospital n-now, its your dad," She sobs.

My heart aches as it thuds against the cage. I hang up turning away from Bella as tears sprint from eyes.

"Ethan?" She calls after me.

"I have to go!" I sob to her.

I get inside the car, driving leaving her standing at her door watching after me. What has happened? Has my dad gotten ill again? I hope he's alright, I hope my mothers alright.

I wonder if he's fine and my mother just wants me to visit, she told me a while ago that my father was in and out for tests. If he gotten worse surely she would have told me sooner?

I wipe my eyes dry, as I try to remember the route. I pull up outside of a colossal daunting white building. It looks nice and welcoming from the outside but when I'm inside its nothing but impatience and worrying.

Patients being shifted from one room to another. Dark blue signs direct me to the waiting area, there I find my mother. Sitting, sobbing and looking like something dear was stolen from her.

I put my arm around her, she jumps and looks around at me. I stand as she sobs into my shoulder, she holds me tightly as if I was the only thing she has left.

"He's gone," She sobs.

"Mom whose gone, no where has gone, dads in his room and I'm right here, we're a family." I comfort her.

I look threw to my dad's hospital room.

He is lying there peaceful asleep. So why is my mom crying? I let go of my mom and head into my dad's room.

The closer I get the paler he looks. He looks different up close than from a distance. I touch his cheek I shiver at his coldness. Tears pour from my eyes. I shake him but he doesn't move. I touch his neck for a pulse but there isn't one.

I sit by his side, I hold his hand.

"Dad!" I whisper. Something was stolen from my mother, it was her husband.

No reply.

"Dad!" I raise my voice. I am all she has left.

No reply.

"Dad!" I shout as more tears shed from my eyes. He can't be dead, he can't me. Mom needs him, I need him.

I shake him.

No reply.

I call for doctors in tears but no one listens. I lean against my father's dead body crying. It's all that I can do. I was away living my life forgetting about his illness. How could have I been so selfish? My own farther slowly loosing grip of the world and I wasn't by his side...

I wake up to a nurse tapping my shoulder.

"Sir I'm really sorry for you loss but you have to leave and we have to sort out the body," She says bluntly.

A nerve is struck I explode inside.

"My dad is dead yet that's all you can say you stupid cow, I'm grieving and feeling shit and you want me to leave?" I snap.

She the look of guilt plasters across her face.

"Don't even try to apologise you stupid bitch!" I snap as I push past her. I don't feel one bit guilty, how am I supposed to act? Normal? What's normal?