thirty-one.

+ dead +

+ dead +

I stood over a table, multiple guns sitting on it, the sleek black metal gleaming under the lights. I ran my finger over one, feeling the coldness against my skin. I took a deep breath, picking it up quickly, shifting it around in my hand. I grabbed a bullet casing from the side of the table harshly, slamming it into the gun in a split second with the heel of my hand.

I made my way to the range, an emotionless look on my face. I lined it up with the target, squaring off my shoulders to my feet. I exhaled, hovering my finger over the trigger, holding my breath slightly. I pushed my finger down, the gun firing loudly, the sound bouncing off of the stone walls. I fired again, and again. Over and over, until there was no bullets left in my gun, causing me to lower it by my side. I squinted down the range, all the bullet holes lining up in the head on the target, as it normally was every time I picked up a gun.

The shooting range seemed to be where I let out all of my rage, ever since my days in the Red Room, and after my conversation with Ahren, I seriously had some steam to blow off. It's not that I had imagined Ahren's face on the target, but I couldn't deny I  was very angry at him. I walked back to the table, grabbing another bullet casing, marching back over to the range and pushing it into the gun with ease. 

I was the best shooter in my generation of Red Room girls, as I was the best at everything else. I couldn't remember life before the Red Room, only being 6 when i started. I didn't know my parents, as far as I'm aware, I didn't have any. I always assumed they were dead, but they may not be, but frankly I didn't care.

Don't show emotion, don't get attached. That's the principle, that's what was drilled into my brain as I young child. And I lived by it for as long as I could. Until I met him.

Bucky.

I always told myself, if it was for a mission, I'd do what I had to do to execute it, but Bucky wasn't even my mission. Steve already trusted me, I didn't need Bucky to coerce him into it, I didn't need to go out with him, I didn't need to kiss him. But I did, and I enjoyed it more than anything else on that mission. I got side tracked and I couldn't deny it, I hardly completed my mission, hell I hardly even started it.

It was a cycle, back to the table, picking up another bullet casing, then going back to the range, shooting till there was none left, the target obliterated. I marched back to the table again, my hands red from gripping the gun so hard, wanted more bullets, but there wasn't any left. I had shot through all 100 of them, yet I was still angry.

"Ivankova" Ahren said, bursting into the room, almost falling over in the process. I scowled at him before I could even think, my emotions clear to me and him of how I felt. "What?" I snapped, gripping the gun tightly in one hand, keeping my finger away from the trigger to stop me from aiming the barrel at him. He looked at me, quickly flashing his eyes to the tattered target at the end of the range, looking at the pile of bullet cases on the floor.

"What" I repeated,more of a statement than a question my voice raised slightly, making his green eyes meeting my brown ones once again. "He's dead" he said, stepping into the room, closing the door behind him, taking a few steps towards me.
I raised my hand up to him, not wanting him to come any closer to me, scared of what I might do. "Schmidt?" I asked, cocking my head to the side, needing clarification on who "he" was.

Ahren's face hardened, clenching his jaw as he shifted lightly on his feet. "Yes, and Captain America" he added, a small smile on his face, the glee shining as the number 1 enemy was no longer about. I blinked a few times, processing this new information. It shouldn't bug me that Steve was dead, he was my mission, not my friend. But it did bother me, and I didn't know why.

"The power cube is gone as well, the thing we used to harvest energy" he clarified, explaining it to me as if I had no idea what he was talking about. "I knew it's wasn't going to last" I said, turning away from him back to the table with the guns on it, placing my one down and picking up another.

"Well, HYDRA will be comprised in less than 24 hours, all of the rest of the bases being obliterated soon" he said, leaning against the wall, watching me as I tossed the gun in between both of my hands, getting a feel of both of them. "Okay" I said, checking the amount of bullets in the new gun, clicking it into place and making my way back to the range. "Good thing we are safe" he said, watching me carefully.

"What's wrong with you? One day you are shouting at me in the hall and the next day you are trying to be my best friend, what game are you playing?" I said, turning around to look at him, raising my voice. He didn't reply, cocking his head to the side with a shrilling smirk on his face. "What game do you want me to play?" he asked me condescendingly, still smiling at me, his teeth perfectly straight and somehow gleaming under the dull lights.

I scoffed, not answering and turning back to the range, firing a few times. Steve was dead, and it bothered me. Bucky was dead, and that bothered me as well. As much as I hated it, they were weirdly my closest friends, although I lied to them for the entirety of our association. And Schmidt died, at the hands of Steve, or Captain America more like. A year ago Schmidt dying would of destroyed my career, but it felt like Matthias had another plan for me.

And if he ends up with a Red Skull moment, I don't think I could handle it anymore.

——

A/N: So so so sorry it took me so long to update, but here's a mediocre chapter I didn't like that much.
I'm lowkey going through all of my old books that I started and never continued and polishing them and just publishing them. So I recently put out a fan fiction on the Hunger Games, so if you are interested please check out my book Wave, I think it's good but i'm a bit biased.
But please vote and comment and i'll love you forever bye