7. Not At First Sight

BxB

*Unedited*

Trevor's P.O.V.

DAY ONE

"This is Mr. Reeze's schedule. It's the same each week and it is very important for you to memorize this if you want this job." Harold, my trainer for this job, says sternly. I simply nod, glancing at the piece of paper. "During the next two weeks, you will be doing a small list of chores and they should be done before Mr. Reeze comes home each day. If you fail to do so, you will be sent home to find somewhere else to work. But, if, by some miracle, you survive the training period, you will get the job. The job will then entail a much longer list of chores to do, a confidentiality contract that you will need to sign, and a pretty good paycheck."

Harold seems to watch my face for certain reactions, but I just stare back at him. This will be an easy job, plus the pay will be good enough to take care of my medical bills. Not to mention how I can be my antisocial self doing this job.

“If you understand, then go get started on your list. I recommend taking your time until you’ve gotten a rhythm down.” I nod again, grabbing Mr. Reeze’s weekly schedule and my list, and walk away reading through the twenty or so items on the list. I have yet to meet my employer, but I’ve heard he’s a… perfectionist of sorts. That isn’t what the rumors say, but I’m trying to be nice. He may have his reasons, plus he probably can’t compare to some of the people I’ve met.

My list contains mainly things in the kitchen and Mr. Reeze’s bedroom. One would think that he wouldn’t want a rookie cleaning his room, but Harold said that if you can clean his room perfectly you automatically get the job. Apparently Mr. Reeze writes a list of what could be done better. If he does that, he can’t be all that bad can he? Though if you don’t listen to the letters you’re fired. He reminds me of someone, but I can’t place it.

I finally reach the kitchen and take look at it, trying to decide what order I should do my list. I decide to start with the dishes piled on the counter, seeing as there isn’t a dishwasher and they’ll take the longest. While the water is filling the sink I grab my headphones from around my neck and place them on my head, plugging them into my iPod. When my music starts playing I check the sink and turn off the water before slowly piling plates and bowls into the sink to wash first.

With each item I wash, I make sure it’s as clean as I can get it before rinsing it off and setting it in the strainer. Once I’ve filled the strainer to its capacity, with some pots and pans still on the counter, I start wiping down the kitchen walls and the cupboards while the dishes dry. It doesn’t take me long to finish cleaning up the kitchen and when I am done I remove the headphones, pause my music, and start the trip to Mr. Reeze’s room.

Along the way I pass Harold, who insists I stop and tell him what I’ve finished and what I have left.

“I’m done with the kitchen. Just heading to Mr. Reeze’s bedroom to start there.” Harold looks a little shocked and suspicious but shakes his head walking away, mumbling about how I won’t get this job. I just continue walking to Mr. Reeze’s room, thankful for the tour I was given yesterday. The house is huge and it’d be easy to get lost.

When I reach the bedroom door, I take a deep breath and push the door open. I take a moment to look around and, surprisingly, I like what I see.