9. The Heirarchy of Love

BxB

Enjoy!

Initiation. Another way to say eighteenth birthday party. It’s called Initiation, because we are werewolves and when we turn eighteen, everything happens. We find our mate, we shift for the first time, and we apply for pack positions. Initiation. There’s an initiation once a month for those who’ve turned eighteen that month.

It’s against pack rules to shift before your designated initiation, and there’s only one initiation a month because our pack is so big that I’m pretty sure there would be an initiation everyday if we did it on the actual birthdays.

“Elias!” my mother calls from the kitchen. “We’re going to be late! And to your own Initiation!”

“I’m coming!” I yell back, slipping on my converse. Walking out of my room, I sigh and head to the kitchen. This whole initiation thing shouldn't be like a party. I mean, what if we don't want to find our mate? “Why can’t I skip? I really don’t want to do this.”

“Why not?” she asks. The question makes my eyes roll. I send her a pointed glare and she smiles. “Yes, you have to go Elias. I mean, who knows, maybe you’re bi and just won’t know it.”

I scoff and walk out of the house. This whole being gay and a werewolf thing sucks. Mom runs after me, her purse jumping up and down, her keys jingling. I stop and wait for her to catch up. Once she does I snatch the keys from her and walk to the car.

“Fine, I’ll let you drive,” she heaves. I smile because she can’t drive even if she wants to. About a month ago she got a DUI and isn’t allowed to drive for a year. Which is both awesome and horrible because on one hand I can take the car and drive, and I don’t have to pay for gas. But on the other hand I also have to be her personal driver and being her son I can’t exactly say no.

Getting in the car I start the car and wait for my mom to get in. She opens the car door and stands there searching through her purse. I let out a sigh and roll my eyes.

“My god woman, get in the car and then look through the bag,” I say. She glares at me through her glasses but does what I said anyway. When she’s buckled in, I pull out of the driveway and head to the pack house. The only good thing about Initiation is that no one will know which wolf is me, because the people being initiated change in soundproof rooms before going to where the party is and find their mate.

Only the initiated can be in wolf-form, which is another plus, so I can decide ahead of time whether or not I will approach my mate.

“Elias, I don’t understand why you’re so upset about this,” she says, pulling out a cigarette. “I mean, your mate is your other half. You are going to love them no matter what and vice versa.”

“Mom,” I say warningly, glancing at the cigarette. She rolls her eyes and puts it back in the carton. “Plus, mom, I don’t want to love someone just because of a stupid mate bond. And, you know the reason why I’m worried.”

“Just because it hasn’t happened in our pack doesn’t mean it won’t,” she says. The street becomes a gravel road. The pack house comes into sight.

“Whatever,” I mutter, pulling into the parking lot of the pack house. There’s already about a hundred cars here and all the free parking spots are farthest from the pack house. Yay. My mom groans as when I park. She takes the keys back and I get out of the car, walking to the pack house.

I zip my hoodie and place my hands in the pockets and my mom rolls her eyes. She doesn't approve of me wanting to not draw attention. Apparently when I was young I just loved attention. The walk to the house is silent. When we go inside, my eyes immediately start searching the crowd. It doesn't take long before I've found my small group of friends. Mom gives me one last kiss before walking off to find my dad.