Chase (12)

Chapter Twelve

Chase

“Where the hell is he? Hey, you are meant to be lifeguards! Don’t you usually go out looking for them? I am so suing your asses after this,” I yell, desperate for them to do something to find Chase.

“We are doing everything we can, we are short staffed and you aren’t the only one with problems. Please stay calm and we will find your friend in no time. I suggest you go have a look around and see if he has washed up somewhere along the beach, ask people if they have seen him.”

Frustrated and on the verge of breaking down I leave to go do what he says. I go up to the first man I see and try to ask him if he may have seen Chase but before I can finish he walks away. Anger fills me as I walk follow then stop in front of him.

“As I was so politely asking you, have you seen my friend?” I yelled then gave a brief description of him and told him what happened.

“No, sorry,” he said impatiently then added, “If I see him I will tell you.”

I continue this for a few people before I see a black haired boy lying down near the water.

“Chase?” I scream out at the body which isn’t moving.  I run quickly down the beach, narrowly missing children and even jumping over one person who was sun baking.

I notice the clothing on the body and I realise it is Chase.

I feel like I am the one dying, my life with Chase and the band flash before my eyes, all the worst case scenarios pop into my head as I reach him, it feels like eternity but finally I get to him.

“Chase?” I whisper quietly while kneeling down to touch his body. Then I yell out for help as I turn the boy on his back so I can see his face.  “Wake up Chase.”

“Miss, move out of the way,” one of the lifeguards from earlier said while the other one pulled me back.

The two men checked for Chase’s pulse. He looked so tiny compared to the two muscly men beside him; even though Chase was athletic he wasn’t THAT athletic.

One man started pressing down on Chase’s chest while the other one held his mouth open. I sat there just staring at him until suddenly Chase’s body moved and he started to choke up water so they turned him on the side. I crawled forward a bit to get closer to him and see if he was awake but was pushed back out of the way as medics came through.

He continued to cough for a bit and when he stopped and closed his eyes and the medics covered him in foil and lifted him onto a stretcher announcing he needs medical help.

“Can I come with you?” I asked the men as they walked really fast to the ambulance.

“What relation are you?”

“His best friend, please?” I begged. I wasn’t worried about all the stuff that was down on the beach, I didn’t care if it got stolen, and all I wanted was to stay with Chase as if that would keep him safe.

“Of course, I just have a few questions,” the men said as we got in the back of the vehicle and started to rally off some questions about Chase, I told him as much as I could. After his questions I asked my own but he gave vague answers and told me he was currently unconscious.

 He let me make a phone call to the boys back home using his mobile while he worked to make Chase comfortable, this was going to be a difficult conversation- if they can even understand what I am saying in between my sobs.

The first call Alex didn’t answer, the second time he realised it might be someone he knew on a different phone.

“Hello? Who is this?”

“It’s Cassie,” I said quietly then waited for his response.

“What is wrong? How come you are calling from a different phone? Where is Chase?”

“Chase is here; can you meet us at the hospital soon? Chase has hurt himself. I really have to go but I will call you to tell you what room and everything,” I said then said my goodbyes and left Alex in a state of panic.