The Beach (11)

Chapter Eleven

The Beach

I hadn’t been to the beach in over six months, it felt like I never had time to go anymore but I am sure I could have made time if I really wanted too. It was a bit of a struggle to fit into my bikini and swim shorts but I managed, having to put a top over my bikini though. 

The boys were quiet happy to see us going on a date, even Alex though I am sure he wasn’t thrilled about it, just happy for his friends. The boys decided to go to Logan’s while Chase and I went to the beach. Chase was excited to go on the date, he had told the others so fast I could hardly believe it; it made me wonder how badly he liked me.

I on the other hand, was enthusiastic to go to the beach but I didn’t know how things would pan out making me feel quiet nervous. I didn’t like the way Alex was taking it, all happy and stuff, but I couldn’t exactly wish for him to be miserable.  I was hoping my date wouldn’t try too many moves on me but still expected it since he was Chase and I knew he wouldn’t give up his maybe only opportunity to be with me.

*

Hoping in the car, I started to drive to the beach. The two hour drive was filled with talk, singing and more talk. Once we got there we realised how much of a bad idea it was, the place was packed with people.

“Maybe we should have gone somewhere else,” I say wearily.

“It is fine,” Chase said grabbing my hand and then pulling me over to a less crowded area.

We dropped our bags, Chase took his shirt off, and we walked into the water.

“No wonder why everyone is here, the water is beautiful,” he said smiling as we went deeper into the water.

“Don’t go too deep, I am not a good swimmer,” I say embarrassed.

“Me either,” and with that he stops just where we can touch the bottom. I give him a smile as if to thank him which he returns.

Then the awkward silence sets in, I realise I am on a date with one of my best friends, it just didn’t feel right, but I guess Chase didn’t feel the same way as he started to walk closer to me.

“Do you kiss on the first date?” he questions beaming at me.

Even though I so wanted to say no to his question, the smile on this face was so beautiful that I couldn’t help but nod.  His lips were like a force field, just making me want to feel his lips against mine.

He pulls the biggest grin I have ever seen after I nod and then he leans in to kiss me; nerves take over me for unknown reasons.

His lips are quiet smooth against mine as he kisses me, but I don’t get that ‘chemistry feeling’ when I kiss him.

“There are kids around,” I whispered, pulling back.

“Whoops,” he laughed and then picks me up only to drop me in the water.

Water goes up my nose, in my mouth, salt stings my eyes and I thrash around trying to get to the surface. Finally, after what feels like eternity, I resurface but only to find that Chase has gone.

‘What the hell?’ I think to myself. He dunked me unexpectedly after kissing me only to leave? What? I could have drowned.

“Chase?” I ask out loud, spinning in circles. If he went under he can sure hold his breath for a long time. Giving up I walk back to our towels, waiting for him to come back only he doesn’t. Five minutes go by and I get worried, then another few minutes pass before I running to the nearest lifeguard.

“Sir, excuse me,” I say butting into two lifeguard’s conversation. They don’t look very happy at me but I don’t give a crap, it is there job to help me not to talk.

“What is the matter?”

“My friend has gone missing,” I said scared for Chase.

“Where about did you last see your friend?”

“Well we were over there, “I said pointing in the direction, “he dunked me and when I came up he was gone. We could only just touch the bottom without our heads going under,” I explained and then the man starts running over to the area.

The other lifeguard collects the paddle board thing and runs after his, I try and catch up but my legs are too short.

One man yells back at me, “Stay out of the water and wait,” as he stayed on the shore with his binoculars looking out for Chase.

What the hell? I sit down on the sand, only to stand back up again because my body can’t sit still. I watch them paddle out to about where we were, when the man on the shore reported to the guard on the board that there was splashing over to the left, out another 100 meters.

You would think I would have noticed if Chase got caught in a rip or current. There would have been shouting, splashing or something. How did he get that far out without me noticing?

The guard starts to pull the man in but soon I discover it isn’t Chase, I yell this to the lifeguard with the binoculars. 

***

OMG!! What will happen? Thanks for all the votes :) Hopefully this short yet dramtic one will get a few.