Chapter Two

It was a cabin

It was a cabin. Two-storey, came off as old, very old; gave off the feeling that it had been there for ages. But save for a few dents here and there, and the ivy clinging to the outer walls and windows, it was in good condition. It looked somewhat creepy, but they had no choice. They had to get out of the rain and assumably that was the only option they had.

The living room was big and empty. Totally empty, that is if you counted out the numerous animal figureheads decking the wall and the enormous fireplace facing the door; the coals had long dried out and there was a layer of dust covering everything, from the floors to hearth to the chipped walls. Shawn had done a little inspection and found a couple of bedrooms upstairs and a basement.

The things they had salvaged from the car stood in the middle of the room.

Philip was the first to make any movement. "I'll take our duffel bags upstairs."

"I'll help." Cassandra offered taking the remaining duffel bags and following her cousin down the narrow hallway to the stairs at the end.

"And I'll take the rest to the basement." John said.

"I'll help you with that." A fairly warm Sophia carried the rest of the belongings with John also down the hallway but turning instead to the right.

Alexandra cleaned what dust she could off the wall and leaned against it, taking out her phone. She wiped the perspiration that had formed on the screen and switched it on. "You've got to be kidding me." she huffed. "No service."

"Well, we can always deal with that later," Shawn said moving closer to her. "and enjoy whatever service is available." Cocking his head to one side he kissed her lips and put his hands around her waist. She put her hands on his sturdy chest and responded with equal force, moaning when Shawn lips began trailing down her neck.

She took a sharp intake of breath when he suddenly pulled away. "What the hell was that?"

"I need a drink." His breath fanned her cheeks. "And as it turns out, Johnny boy has taken the cooler down to the basement. So I'm heading there."

"Fine." Alexandra said reluctantly, folding her arms. "And get me a bottle while you're at it."

"I think I'll just bring up the cooler, just in case." Shawn shrugged, walking away.

...

The few boxes that were previously scattered around the room had been piled in one corner and their baggage placed beside them. Sophia put down the last box and attempted to wipe her dirty hands on her jeans.

"Here, use this." John held out a handkerchief.

"Thanks."

"Sophia," His voice was calm.

She looked up and stared into John's eyes and something tugged at her heart. "John?"

"How long do I have to wait? It just hurts when I see you two together."

"I'm sorry but I can't do what you're asking of me. I can't leave Philip for you."

"You're just scared, right? Scared that you'll lose your popularity and status if you break up with him."

"Yes."

Tears stung John's eyes. He had been expecting that answer but now that the words were out the pain they oozed finally hit him. "We can still work around that." His voice was gentle, almost pleading.

"I'm sorry. I have to go." She tore her eyes from his and turned to leave but he caught hold of her hand and pulled her into his arms.

Their faces were close, noses almost touching. She could smell the faint essence of the spearmint gum he had been chewing right before the trip and the scent of his cologne tickled her nose.

"Do you love him?"

His words were sudden and unexpected and she struggled to answer.

He repeated the question, his voice gruff, filled with emotion. "Do you love him?"

She didn't say anything, couldn't say anything.

Realization dawned on John's face, then morphed into elation. "You don't love him, do you?"

Sophia blinked. The rate of her heart beat increased and she could do nothing but stare into his eyes, eyes that blazed with...

His lips crushed into hers and before she knew what she was doing she instinctively wrapped her arms round his neck pulling him closer. The kiss intensified and Sophia could feel herself melting into his embrace.

They were so caught up in their sin that they failed to notice the strident footsteps as they descended and stopped at the foot of the basement stairs.

...

Cassandra stood arms folded as her cousin tightened the screw holding the window closed. "That should be enough to keep the the rain out."

"Yes it should."

Cassandra sighed. "I do hope the rain stops by morning tomorrow so we can get out of here. I don't feel safe."

"Hey, I'm here. There's nothing to worry about. I'm not going to let anything happen to you."

"I'm not so sure about that. You have Sophia to take care of. I don't even know why I allowed you to convince me to come on this trip. This was obviously a bad idea."

"Cassie, can you for once be optimistic and look on the bright side of things? At least we got a place to keep us from the rain."

"Yeah, but even if the rain does stop, the car is ruined and who knows if we'll ever get help."

"Fine. I get you. But let's talk about our problems another time. Get changed into something dry and meet us downstairs. I'll send the rest of the girls up."

"Fine, whatever. Your dyed hair must be messing up your brain." Cassandra resigned before Philip gave her a reassuring smile, running his hands through his red hair and closing the door behind him.

"I still think this was a bad idea." She muttered, taking off her shirt.

Philip met Shawn on his way to the basement. "Going for a drink?"

Shawn's grin answered his question.

"Don't worry." Philip patted his shoulder. "Let me go get the cooler. It would be much easier."