Chapter 4 ~ The Dark

Chapter 4

After a few hours of chatting and eating delicious food, it's beginning to get quite late, so we all decide to go for a midnight swim.

"Woah, look at that moon." I gasp at Riley as all of us girls get changed in Chayanne's car. Well, everyone except for me, because I already had my togs on.

"Yeah, it's so full, so beautiful, it's the perfect night for a swim." She replies.

Riley seems nice, she's sort of whimsical and floaty but she's sweet too.

"At least we will be able to see out there, no one will get lost...Or attacked by a shark without us knowing!" Angel adds.

What a lovely thought.

Then gets out of the car and runs over to Louis, grabbing his hand. I follow her out and head back down to the beach.

"Come on, lets go, I want to get in the water first." She whispers to him as she tugs him towards the dark waves.

Riley gets out of the car and looks at me.

"How did you get that scar?" She asks.

I look down at my calf and notice my scar shining from the moonlight, it's very noticeable right now.

"Oh, um...I went in the caves this morning and I got a really deep cut in my leg and when I came out of the caves all I had was this scar." I explain to her, she probably thinks I'm insane, scars take a few weeks—even months, to form.

"Wow, thats strange, although I've heard of a number of weird things happening in those caves." She gives me a concerned look.

"I'm fine, really."

She nods slowly, "If you say so, but you probably shouldn't go in there again."

"Thanks for your concern" I reply, unsure of what her tone of voice is implying.

She offers me a small smile, "Well, I'd better go find Zayn, see you in the water, I guess."

Then she strides off.

Everyone else is changed now and heading towards the surf, Angel waves at us from in the water.

"Come on guys! It's surprisingly warm!" She yells.

Maybe there will be jellyfish in there then...Who knows.

Then she screams as Louis splashes water in her face.

Leylanie and Chayanne come up to walk with me.

"Hey guys, thanks so much for coming, it's great having you here." I say to them.

"Thats ok my wee friend" Chayanne grins.

"Yeah, we're having a great time!" Leylanie adds, and gives me a quick squeeze.

"Did you see Liam's face when you kissed Harry?" Chayanne suddenly blurts out.

I glance at her, "No? Why? Was he laughing?"

"No!" Leylanie whispers, "He looked really annoyed, like someone had just slapped him or something."

I laugh uneasily, "Yeah right Leylanie, like he would care about a game of spin the bottle."

"I think he likes you a lot." Leylanie leans over and murmurs in my ear.

Thank goodness she does, because just then Liam, Harry and Niall catch up to us.

"What were you three beautiful ladies whispering about?" Niall asks, his tone a joking one.

"Nothing." We say in unison as we flash smiles their way.

"Well then, less talk, more action, lets go! Last one in the water gets dunked!." Harry shouts as he sprints off.

We all run behind him sprinting through the moonlit sand, I finally reach the water and sigh in relief, it's soothing and warm as it laps against my feet.

"Eek!" Leylanie squeals as she gets dunked by Harry for coming last.

But I'm not focusing on them anymore. I slowly wade out further into the water, staring at the full moon, it's almost in the centre of the sky. Almost midnight.

I continue wading out, I can't seem to stop myself, there seems to be something pulling me further...I'm up to my chest and ready to dive in to explore the water farther out, when someone silently slides up to me from behind.

Two hands cover my eyes before I can do anything, so I can't tell who on earth it is.

"Hello? Who is this?" I ask cautiously, I can't tell if the hands are male or female.

It's probably Angel and Louis playing a prank on me.

I extend my arms and stroke the water around me, searching for something to hold, like an arm, so I can figure out who it is.

"Louis, Angel, this is weird, not funny." I whisper, annoyed.

I decided to try to pry the hands from around my eyes.

"Uggh." I groan when the hands don't budge.

But I can tell they are male.

"Look whoever it is please let me see again, I'm freaking out a bit here." I hiss.

"I'm sorry about before." My eye shielder says.

The voice sounds familiar. "Liam?" I gasp, all my feelings of hostility gone.

"Yeah, sorry, I just thought you wouldn't want to talk to me face to face after I ignored you for half the party, I'm the worst friend."

"Liam, you're my best friend, and I'm not mad at you. I could never be mad at you."

"It's just when Niall asked if we were together, I sort of wished it were... um.. true."

"Really?" I ask, still blind from his hands.

This cannot be happening. Does this mean that Liam is breaking the friend zone so I don't have to?! No way...

"Yeah, but I've never really thought you liked me, that I was just a friend to you." He continues.

"No never, I've always liked you." I reply, I can hardly form sentences right now, I never expected this to happen, "And I'd like you more if you would let me see again." I joke, trying to make the situation easier.

"Of course." He takes his hands off my eyes and I spin around to face him.

I can still hear the others having a water fight somewhere nearby.

"So, do you think we could try seeing where this would lead us? Only if you want to, of course." He says.

I nod, "Definitely, I've been feeling the same way for a while actually, I was just too nervous to tell you, I didn't want to ruin what we have, Liam."

He stares straight into my eyes, and we lock gazes, "Wow, I guess we've both been hiding things from each other then. So much for and honest open friendship."

He looks so sincere, his eyes are warm and inviting, and his bronze hair is messy and dripping onto his face.

I laugh, "Sorry about that..."

We both smile at each other and he pulls me into a tight hug.

The moon is in the centre of the sky now.

"It's 11.59! Guys!" Chayanne shouts at the others. I think they are heading into shore to dry off now.

I look at Liam as the two of us separate slightly.

"Shall we go back to the bonfire?" I ask.

"I suppose, but I just want to do something first." He replies.

He pulls me closer and my heart begins to pound, 'He's going to kiss me! My first kiss is going to be with Liam!' I think to myself, giddy with anticipation.

That's when the clock strikes midnight and my fairytale comes to an abrupt end.