20 Outsiders

20 Outsiders

Everything that Avery has ever learned about werewolves, their packs, their power, their strengths and weaknesses, was rooted in the idea of belonging. To a pack. To a place. To the animal inside and the earth beneath their feet.

To an Alpha.

Despite the wars over the eons, the rise of new threats and the carnal pain in each of them, if a werewolf had its belonging, had home—there was nothing that could cause them fear.

Avery never had that luxury, before.

She closed her locker door, feeling a second pulse in her veins writhe in protest. Ever since last night, every sense, every emotion felt heightened. Avery would freak herself out thinking that her decision alone had undone the beast without even taking a life.

That the sharp scent of bleach of the janitor’s trolley passing behind her, the squeak of sneakers on the linoleum as the basketball freshmen dribbled the ball down the hall, the excited chattering of two girls a few lockers down, the smell of strawberry lip-gloss splattered as the red-faced senior dropped her bag on the floor---

Every sense was heightened in anticipation of what’s to come. And she wasn’t talking prom.

Last night had been a bit of déjà vu for Avery. Before the clock even struck midnight, she and Sawyer were trekking the familiar route in the woods, the same path he’d shown her that day they first met. Except this time, he was the one asking questions, wondering aloud why Avery was being so cryptically quiet.

Avery smiled, holding her hand out for him to take. “I don’t know,” she shook her head and looked up at the sky, at the moon that sent tremors done her spine. Around her, the forest creaked and snapped and threatened to swallow her whole, but Avery only smiled and led Sawyer further along. “All I know is that I’m no longer scared.”

Up on the glade, the rest were waiting. Laurel, Adam and Reece each had a backpack and a duffel of clothing laying down at their feet.

“There’s no backing away. We’re on the outside now,” Adam whispered, looking to his best friend for assurance.

Reece nodded, clapping Adam on the shoulder. “We’re not alone, though.”

Avery smirked, folding her arms across her chest. “I’m thrilled you’ve included me in your Kerouac adventure, but you rich kids still have a few lessons to learn.”

“Hardy har,” Reece mocked, grinning at her with his patented eyeroll. “I mean, I’ve gotten a few calls today. Maybe the pack’s got a little rebellion going on.”

“Shouldn’t even be called that,” Laurel snarked, flipping her hair angrily. “I mean, you’re not the one in the wrong. Your father is.”

The mention of his dad weighed on Reece. His shoulders sagged. For a moment he couldn’t make eye contact with anyone, only glaring hard as he kicked the grass around. “But he is still Alpha.”

“Yeah, rebellions always lose before they win. You still have a long way to go before you blow up the Death Star. That’s if you wanted to blow it up,” the last of their group said, voice trailing off sympathetically.

“Really Dayton? Star Wars?”

Dayton scoffed, jerking his head back so his hair flopped around languidly. “Then read a history book, Dunning. If these kids are going to set things right for their home pack, they have a long way to go.”