10 Aftereffect

10 Aftereffect

She hurried out the school building, not surprised at all to see Reece and Sawyer hanging about in the lot. Tossing her bags into her car, she squinted at them.

"Great speech there. Oscar worthy," she drawled. She brought her hand up to shield her eyes from the sun, smiling as Reece rolled his eyes at her.

"No more cage matches with Laurel?" he asked.

Sawyer gave a snort, striding over to her. She was floored by his sudden approach, too frozen to move when he pulled her chin to him, his eyes running over her face and darkening.

"I say you should give her a little something more to remember you by," he murmured, his voice rumbling from his chest. His finger trailed over the cut above Avery's eye, and she flinched as it stung.

"Ouch," she muttered, blinking fast. The aches of her fight had nothing on what his gaze did to her. "It doesn't matter, knowing Laurel, the two of us will probably end up in a headlock before graduation."

"Really?" Reece cried out, exasperated. "What is it with girls? You guys never fight clean."

Avery laughed loudly at his bewildered expression. "It's fine, Reece. Turns out catfights are kinda our thing."

"Yeah, real girls bonding," said Sawyer, his eyes still running over every injury. "I can't deal. Anyone have a first aid kit?"

"I've got one in the back," Avery replied, confused to why.

Sawyer disappeared around the back of her Jeep and Reece shook his head, a laughing glimmer in his eyes.

"So, I hear your dad is having me followed?" Avery smiled, lifting one eyebrow.

Reece shyly shrugged. "Yeah, sorry. He just won't listen to me. We're barely talking at this point."

"Maybe he hid the truth to protect you, isn't that what good Alpha's do."

Reece blinked, frowning hard to hide his sudden surge of pain. "I'm not sure what a good Alpha is anymore."

Avery felt sorry for what Reece was going through. Even never having been in the same boat, it was hard to see someone's world shatter so quickly and finding their father closed the door. Even someone as broody as Reece.

"What the hell?" Sawyer called from the back. "Avery, your Jeep is packed like a rogue black ops spy."

Reece looked at her curiously and went around to check.

Shit, Avery thought. That was embarrassing. She followed Reece and came to look into the back of her car. While looking for her first aid kit, Sawyer had pulled out her duffel of clothes, her backpack where she kept important stuff like paperwork, keys, cards, and spare cash, and a chest filled with crossbows, airsoft rifles, stakes, holy water and other witchy stuff.

"What is that?" Reece asked, reaching for an open jar stuffed with dried leaves.

"No," both Avery and Sawyer shouted.

Reece touched the plant and jerked back, yelling in shock and pain. "What the hell!"

"Wolfsbane," Avery explained, quickly closing the jar. Seeing Sawyer waiting for an explanation, she shrugged. "I'm supposed to stay under the radar. If things go south-"

"You go east," he nodded, looking around at her stuff.

Reece was still swearing, waving his hand around in the air as if that would cool the burn. "Why wolfsbane? Geez, that stuff is deadly."