09 Pack

09 Pack

You should be careful.

Avery frowned at the text, her thumb hovering over the screen to reply. Be careful? That was practically her live, eat and die mantra. She was close to neurotic at how careful she liked to play it.

"Who are you texting?" Melissa whispered, leaning over both their desks to see Avery's phone.

Avery rolled her eyes and jerked the screen away from Mel's prying gaze. "Sawyer," she answered, quickly typing an answer.

Melissa sank back into her seat with a glowing smile. "Why are you and Reece's big brother getting so cozy? Or better yet, how?" She shook her head, apparently delighted by Avery's new complication.

Both looked across the classroom, Reece and Laurel sitting two rows from the front and easily gossiping with their groupies. Avery scowled at Melissa, a flush creeping onto her skin. Even as the words left Mel's smirking lips, Reece straightened in his seat, hearing his name even through the din of a lazy class.

"I'm not cozying up to anyone," she hissed under her breath, turning to face the front of the class. "And like I told you yesterday—"

"You had a car flat and this complete stranger helped you out." Melissa waved her hand at Avery's tall tale. "Yes, I know. But why are you two still sexting?"

"Melissa!" Avery choked, feeling a stupid rush of heat on her face.

To make it worse, their little conversation got someone's attention. Laurel turned in her seat, frowning at Avery from across the room. Geez. Feeling her phone buzz, Avery ducked away from both girls' stares.

Newman has somebody trailing after you, making sure you don't stir up any trouble.

The warmth across her skin died down with pinpricks. Avery bit on her lip, glaring hard at her phone.

Reece? She typed, hoping to God he trusted her enough not to set a tail on her. They seemed to have this agreement now, so he better not be playing dirty. She was sitting right here if he wanted to ask her something.

No. The big guy.

Great, Avery sighed. Just what she needed. The last Alpha she faced was all "snap my fingers and you jump," with his money and power. Another thing the shifters sucked at, pack equality. Their ranks meant nothing if power was just handed to you the day you were born, butt-naked and bawling.

Avery slid her phone back into her pocket and faced Melissa's waiting expression. "You're being weird. What's your next class?"

Melissa smiled drolly at the deflection and replied, "I've got to do stock for the dance. Did you hear about what happened in the gym?"

What? Did a bunch of vampires smash the place up and leaving it looking like the leftovers of a blood sacrifice? "No, what happened?"

Melissa got that rush every girl got when spilling the tea. "I actually don't know. But it looked like someone took a sledge hammer to the place. The floor is ripped, cracks in the wall. I mean, wrecked."

The bell rang and there was a sudden scramble as everyone grabbed their bags and rushed off to their next class. Avery hopped from one foot to the other, trying to heave her backpack over her shoulder.

"Geez. Does that mean gym is cancelled?"

Melissa laughed, falling in step with Avery as they walked out into the hallway. "Oh no, nothing stops Coach. I hear he plans for us to play some soccer."