08 Mythos

08 Mythos

The smell of burned plastic made her nose itch. Avery frowned and tried to search for the scent that was making her mouth feel dry. She sighed when she saw the empty beaker in the basins: another mishap in the chemistry labs. Turning back to face the front of the empty classroom, Avery blew a puff of air, her hair falling across her face.

She needed the privacy as her fingers tapped rapidly across the keyboard.

Three days have passed since her midnight rendezvous, and things have gone back to normal. The wolves cleaned up the mess in the gym. The school was paid hush money. And Avery and the wolf pack barely glanced at each other in the hallways. Back to normal meant finally starting to finish up on her last exams, and not another vampire attack.

It scared the shit out of Avery. Those monsters would no doubt come back. When they did, Avery needed to be ready.

Checking to see that no one came walking through the door, she opened the camera log window. There was a convenience store on turn-off from the highway into the school. If Michael and James came by car, maybe she'll be able to follow the trail. Avery had to bribe the late-night cashier just to get her hands on the feed.

It took her a couple of minutes of fast play before she saw the white SUV drive past twenty minutes after her Jeep. She scrawled down the number plate and then clicked the feed closed.

Vampires were the one thing Avery couldn't run from. So, she sighed as she stuffed her laptop into her bag, she needed to find a way of making herself invaluable to them. If they had no need for her, she wouldn't have to run anymore.

But first she needed to know who they were first. Michael and James were most likely only lackeys.

She left the empty classroom and slowly shuffled towards her locker. Passing through the morning crowd, Avery saw the wolf pack a few lockers down.

She was unsure what to make of this impasse they had going on. Adam caught her staring, a small flicker passing through his gaze before he eased back with a flirtatious smirk. Avery rolled her eyes, already turning away by the time Reece noticed his best friend looking to her.

"Alright, I can't take this anymore."

Avery jumped as her locker slammed shut, a hand smacked three inches away from her face. She whirled around, seeing Melissa glare and grinding down her teeth.

"Take what?" Avery asked apprehensively, kinda freaked by Melissa's anger.

"Ha," she scoffed, straightening her pose. "You and Dayton haven't looked each other in the eye. You won't tell me how you broke your arm, and you're walking on eggshells around them." Melissa flipped her long ponytail and jerked her head to Reece them.

"Mel, I really don't know what you're getting at."

"No. You're gonna come clean for once. After your History final, you and I are going to Havana."

Avery felt her eyebrow raise stupendously. "Trial by coffee."

The bell rang, everyone around them starting to hurry along to their classes. Melissa narrowed her eyes. "Don't mock me."

Resigned that she couldn't avoid Melissa without raising further questions, Avery agreed before hitching up her bag and walking towards her History class. Her mind was not set for this test. She groaned, rubbing a hand over her face.

"What did you tell her?" a deep voice whispered behind her.

Avery spiked at the warm body near her. "Nothing," she hissed, trying to follow the crowd without looking at him. "I've managed being here an entire year without anyone interrogating me. Until now."