44 • Good for Each Other

Chapter Forty-Four

❝We are all human together 

but alone in the lonely kingdom of ourselves.❞

He could still see the wave crashing in front of his eyes.

     The way it suddenly devoured him, the sea seeming to roar in his wake, and then all he could was blue, blue, then complete black

     Theo jerked himself awake.

    "Hey." El turned around frantically, the bed creaking underneath as she shifted her position to face him. "Baby, you okay?"

     He let out rapid breaths, blinking repeatedly like her face was settling into focus. Then he let out a tired groan and wrapped his arms around her again, spooning her face-forward and nuzzling his face on the nape of her neck. Wanting to dive into her warmth instead.

     They'd been cocooning in his bedroom for hours. He'd made sure his bedroom was clean, even forcing her to wait outside and have Zach guard the door. But El being El, she charmed her way in.

     He fucking loved the daylights of her.

    "I didn't know you were awake," she whispered, playing with messy strands of his hair.

    "I wasn't." He kissed her collarbone. "Still a bit shaken up, honestly."

     Shit. He shouldn't have said that. Because now El had fully straightened up, taking his face into her hands. Her eyelashes brushing her cheek as she looked at him in concern.

    "I still can't believe you did that," she said quietly, brushing his cheekbone, his jaw, the faint stubble. "You should've listened."

    "You should've stayed," he murmured, grabbing that hand to give a soft kiss at her palm.

    "That'd be impossible, because you'd do the same for me."

     He would. One hundred percent.

     Still, what El did was not anything less of brave. Stupid, but brave. She didn't have the same fears as before, but that didn't mean she would just... dive into the ocean like that. Much less if it was on dangerous tides. That girl would go through so many lengths for him. 

     A new, odd feeling came through his mind, whispering that he wasn't good enough for her, even after all this time.

    "Does that mean I get my turn to save you?"