47 • Yours Someday

Chapter Forty-Seven

She may not be his first or final love,

but between them, she'll always be the one that counts.

Anchor's held their last day.

     El and Daisy helped the boys gather their bags just outside the shack, ready for an awaiting cab when needed. Well, it was mostly the girls cheering the boys on while they carried the heavy stuff, while Theo and Zach themselves succumbed to manual labor.

    "Thanks for the help," Theo grunted, finally dropping on a stool.

     El pecked him on the cheek. "Wasn't that a nice way of showing your masculinity in front of us?" She held a hand to her temple. "Oh, how you had me sweeping off my feet!"

     He rolled his eyes at her dramatics.

    "It's called exercise, Samuels," Daisy smirked. "Ever heard of it?"

    "Eat shit, Clementine."

     The boys agreed to have a final farewell at the beach, but the circle was smaller — more private. It was only the usual gang, Julian and plus a couple of other contestants that Zach had been well-acquainted with. She had given all the Anchor's crew a day off, except for herself, Jeff and Wanda, who were happy to serve as well as celebrate. Especially since she had on a special sundress for the occasion.

    "Don't worry, we're still at your beck and call for one last day," Wanda quipped, sliding him a Blue Lagoon. His personal favourite.

     Theo saluted to her. "You're heaven-sent, Wanda."

     She winked.

     El busied herself making another drink, but when she was done and searched for Daisy, the stool was empty. Her smile faltered, eyes locking around the scene.

     She found her with Julian, but Daisy wasn't with him, not exactly. Even El could tell that her mind was elsewhere. The poor boy didn't notice, because he kept leaning in for a kiss that she clearly wasn't in the mood for. El frowned, wanting to step in. But something stopped her.

     Daisy's gaze had locked with something past her.

     Zach was crossing through the crowd when their eyes met. El blinked. It was only then did she realise the two hadn't shared eye contact ever since they arrived at the beach. Nor did they exchange their usual witty remarks; Daisy had only responded to Theo earlier.