Chapter 1

Blue's POV

I rolled over to slam the top of my alarm clock, I had hit snooze too many times and it was finally time to wake up for work. I had graduated from college two years ago and I was now a resident at Los Angeles Children's Hospital as a ER/Trauma pediatric nurse. I had the night shift, again. The newer residents tend to pick up the shift's nobody wanted.

But it was all worth it when I got to work and see the children. I stood up walking into my bathroom, quickly brushing my hair I pulled it up in a tight bun pulling my wispies down to shape my face. I applied a light face of makeup along with brushing my teeth.

I looked at my clock to see that it was 8:30PM, I was going to be on shift for 48 hours. A long 48 hours of working, but the paycheck at the end of each month was so worth it. But yet again I loved what I did. I changed into my scrubs adding a black long sleeve underneath.

I grabbed my backpack that I had packed earlier in the day. I ran out to the lobby saying a quick goodbye to the receptionist who waved back and smiled. I got into my car and drove to work thinking about my patients. I couldn't help to let my mind wander to someone. Grayson.

I quickly shoved him out of my mind before I could get too deep into my thoughts. I pulled to the front of the hospital handing the valet my keys before running into the hospital. "Charleston, once you get your bags down we need you in Room 2." My head nurse said as I nodded. I ran into the locker room setting my bags down running back towards the ER.

"What do we have here?" I asked pulling on my gloves. "Car accident. Patient is 13 years old, parents are in the lobby. Trauma to the head and contusions showing on the left abdomen. On my count?" The paramedic said as we nodded. "One, two, three." She said as we picked up the stretcher moving it to the hospital bed.

"We got it from here thank you." The doctor said as I smiled thanking the paramedics. "Lets get an ultrasound to see what we have going on." The surgeon said as I handed him the ultrasound kit. He quickly was able to see that there was mass bleeding in the abdomen. "I need to take him up to ER, now. Alert my team." He said as I nodded my head. "I'll page them now." I responded.

"Thanks Charleston." He responded as he pulled up the sides of the gurney pulling the little boy away. I paged the team as I exhaled, and that's why I love my job. The thrill and the rush of it, that's what I do everyday. I would never change it for the world.

'''

My shift had finally ended and I was so ready to go home. "Blue." My friend, Amanda, called from behind me. I turned around, "ya?" "Do you wanna go and get some breakfast with me and run some errands?" She said clasping her hands together smiling. "I really wanna go home Amanda. Did you see how many patients I had?" I responded.

"I know but pretty please. We can go to Urth Cafe and Ill pay." She said as I cringed. "I hate you, you know I can't turn down free Urth. Let's go." I responded as she fist pumped the air. "Atta girl Blue." She responded linking her arm with mine. We skipped out of the ER saying goodbye. "I'll meet you there." I said walking towards the valet.

"Nurse Charleston. Your car and keys madam." The valet man said handing me my keys smiling. "Thank you very much Anthony have a good day." I said patting his chest smiling. "You as well Blue." He said as I got into my car. I pulled away driving towards Urth Cafe.

I had arrived at Urth Cafe, parking my car next to Amanda's. "Hey girl." She said as I got out of the car smiling. "Thank you again for paying." I laughed giving her a hug. "Of course, anything for you." She responded. As we walked up it felt like there was someone staring at me.

I turned around only seeing an empty street and a man in a hoodie walking down an alley. Nobody was looking at me. "You good?" She asked as I nodded. "Yeah, I just felt like someone was watching me." I responded lightly laughing looking again behind me. "You're just tired, it was a long shift." She said as I nodded my head.

"Ya you're right. I'm sorry." I said as the waiter gave us our tables. "What can I get you two to drink?" He asked as I looked towards Amanda, letting her know that she could go first. "I'll get a sweeten peach green tea." She said as the man nodded writing her order down on a pad.

"And you." He said looking back towards me. "I'll get a mango smoothie." I responded smiling thanking him. "Ok I'll have that out to you two in a minute." He said walking away from the table. "He was totally checking you out." Amanda said as I looked up at her raising my eyebrows. "My ass he was." I responded.

"He was." Amanda said, "come on when are you going to start dating again?" "Amanda, not now." I said sighing. "Just go one on date. It won't hurt anyone." She said as I laughed. "I don't want to lead anyone on. I just need a little more time." I responded. "You broke up with him your senior year. That was eight years ago Blue." She said as I sighed, again.

"I know. I'm just still not over him. Manda he was my first love. I thought I was going to marry him. Seriously." I said. "Have you tried getting in contact with him since?" She asked. "Yes, his number changed. His address changed. His parents don't live in the same house. I mean it when I say I've tried everything. That was a while ago though. I kinda just gave up." I shrugged.

"Phone books?" She asked as I nodded, "Everything. Can we please change the subject?" "Can I ask one more question?" She asked. "It depends." I responded lightly laughing. "What was his name. You've never told me." She said. "His name," I started, "his name was Grayson Dolan."

!!

first chapter to this new book. i'm really excited with this idea. and where this book is going to go. i have lots of ideas, i'm really excited. -joc