Chapter Twenty Three- Kioku Masao

Hey, Hi, Hello.

Welcome to chapter twenty three, relatively short and to the intended point. It's mostly Kimi's time in the Tsukuyomi. There are a few different bits mixed in, that of the different POVs included. Those are the POVs of Kakashi's, Sasu-chan's and Naruto's. And a little bit of Ibiki. The song is 'Louder Than Thunder' by The Devil Wears Prada.

DISCLAIMER: I don't own Naruto, though I wish I did.
WARNINGS: Um, kind of weird. Angsty? Cussing, blood, strange things.

Anything in bold is important or with emphasis.
This is what memories look like.
This is what thoughts look like.
'This is what song lyrics look like.' 

SIDE NOTE: I am in a horrible mood right now, and I foresee it will not be getting any better. So my writing will be affected.

--

'What would it take
for things to be quiet?

Quiet like the snow.
I know this isn't much
But I know I could,
I could be better.' 

--

   I am drowning in blood.

  My blood. The blood of my family, my clan. They were dead, but I couldn't remember their names. I couldn't even remember my name. All I know is that they're all dead and gone, and I'm here. And that blood- visceral. It's hot and bright against my skin, soaking in and staining everything until it's all I can see. I'm not dead, but I should be. No one should be alive after that. No one.

   So where am I? Just floating? I don't know much right now. For once in my life, I find myself unable to remember what I want to. Where I was, where I have been, where I am supposed to be, my own name... Nameless faces drift across my mind, all drenched in blood. A man with black hair and blue eyes, crouching down beside me. He smiles brightly, eyes crinkling up with age. He laughs, ruffling my hair with his hand. Who was he? His face twists, breaks, morphing into something else. Someone laying face down in crackling water. Dead. And him? Did I do that to him?

   I feel a low pang in my chest, separate from the rest of the agony coursing through me. Another face appears, this one with a mask and orange book and a lazy smile in his onyx eye. I feel something beyond physical pain-- like my heart was bruised. Emotional pain. I search desperately for any lingering memory, something to ground myself with. Hysteria mounts in my chest when it dawns on me that there was nothing left for me to have. It was all gone, drifting away into the bloody sky.

-KAKASHI'S POV-

   My heart thumps against my chest when I hear the all-too familiar thud of a body hitting the ground.

   The second they leave, claiming they were really only there for reconnaissance, I move to find out who it was. I twist on my heel, causing ripples in the water. I pay no mind to them and send chakra into my feet. I gather my muscles beneath me and jump, landing on the bridge. I don't have to look long to find the crumpled body of one of my students.

   Kimi.

   My heart flies into my throat and the first word from my mouth is, "No." I scoop her up into my arms. Her head lolls back and her body is limp. She feels too thin, too small. I swallow heavily. I needed to get her to a hospital. I couldn't loose another person, not like this. No. No. No.

--

     Why isn't someone trying to get me out of this? Or could I even get out? I have so many questions and no answers for them. I just want to know why I'm here. Why did I have to go through Tsukuyomi? Why?