Chapter 8

When Roderick, Jolly, and Stern finally returned to the cottage, they saw the ladies elves scrambling around frantically.

"Oh thank goodness your back!" Riveria exclaimed. "We can not find Stephen anywhere."

Patricia stood near the door, holding baby Peeps in her arms. The young sprite was trembling with wide eyes.

"I sense darkness nearby, here in these woods." She said, grimly

"Where?" Stern wheezed, exhausted from the long run.

Patricia closed her eyes and focused. "Near the cliff." She popped opened her eyes. "On the other side of the river."

Roderick took off running as Patricia finished. He knew where the river was and quickly made his way over there.

Coming across it, he paused and looked down at the ground. Booted footprints could be seen. He followed them to where they stopped at a long log and he nimbly traveled over it.

Rushing through the shrubs and bushes, he felt as if he knew where he was going. An invisible rope was pulling him towards Stephen.

Please let him be okay. Please let him be okay.

He pushed aside another pair of shrubs and entered into the clearing. He stopped and looked around him. He scanned the area, seeing nothing at first, then his eyed landed on a shapeless mound a couple yards away from him.

He walked closer and as he did, the shapeless mound gradually took form, revealing the shape of a body.

A male body.

"Oh God." He ran. "Stephen!" Roderick yelled.

He kneeled down and grabbed his shoulder. Stephen was laying on his side when Roderick turned him onto his back.

Stephen eyes were closed, his thick eyelashes fanning his lids. Roderick shook him but he did not respond.

"Stephen... Stephen! Wake up!" Roderick saw something near Stephen's hand.

It was a shiny red apple. A bite was taken out of it.

"Stephen." Roderick pulled him into his arms. "My sweet Prince, open your eyes." He begged.

"Begging will not get you anywhere." Said a smug voice.

Looking behind him, he saw Queen Harrica standing not far from him. She had her hands clasped neatly in front of her and her purple stained lips were split into a toothy grin.

"You." Roderick growled dangerously.

"Yes me." The Queen stated, giddy. "And I am so happy you decided to join us. "

"You did this." Roderick growled through gritted teeth. He tightened his hold around Stephen.

"Maybe. But then again I was not the one who ate the apple." The Queen stated.

"What are you talking about? What did you do to him?"

The Queen just smiled.

"Answer me!" He shouted.

"It does not matter." The Queen replied. "His time is numbered and there is nothing that can be done about it - I made sure of that."

Roderick set Stephen gently back down on the ground. He stood up and faced Queen Harrica, rage rumbling throughout his entire being.

"Undo it." He commanded. "Undo whatever you done to Stephen and I will spare your life."

"Cheeky are we not?" The Queen was not intimidated by his threat. "I should probably fix that."