Flash Forward

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Downtown Farmer's Market

Ben was browsing the various boxes of produce. While he could easily grow fruits and vegetable seeds at home with a little alien help, Ben enjoyed getting the fresh air and talking to the people. Ben walked to his usual stand and waved to the owner. "Morning, Mr. Abernathy."

The middle-aged was currently helping another customer pack her order. Hearing a friend, he turned his head and waved in return. "Good morning to you too, Benjamin. I'll be with you in a minute."

Ben chuckled. "Like I always say, take your time."

Once he finished with the woman, he turned to his regular. "What can I do for you, Benny? The usual?"

Ben shook his head with a smile. "Not today. I'm preparing a roast, so I'll need onions, garlic, carrots, celery, and potatoes."

Abernathy grinned at the thought. "Ah, you're trying to savor those drippings, right?"

"I wouldn't cook it any other way."

"I still haven't had a chance to visit that shop of yours."

"If you ever do stop by, I'll give you the first one on the house." Selecting his food from the crates, he made his way to the register.

Forty Second Street, 30 Minutes Later

Ben was walking back to his car, groceries in hand. 'I wonder if Harley wants me to get her anything.' Ben pulled out his phone, but before he could call, a car flew through the air and landed twenty feet away from him. Several people ran in fear from the intersection. Peeking his head around the corner, Ben found the culprit. It was some weird robot rampaging through the streets. "Dammit... Is it so hard have a nice day."

After looking around for any civilians nearby, Ben reached for the Omnitrix. The holographic interface appeared, and the hero activated his uniform. He glowed in white light before his clothes started to change. His signature green jacket, black shirt, and jeans changes into a black and green jacket, matching black pants, and silver boots. A black mask covered his face. The part covering the mouth was smooth while the area covering the eyes had a digital display. In place of his eyes were symbols. At the moment, they were simple X's. (X X). Taking cover, Ben's mask started analyzing the situation. His modulated voice came out. (# #) "So, Azmuth? What am I dealing with here?"

In the corner of Ben's vision, an icon of the Omnitrix's AI voiced his thoughts. "It's definitely on the higher end of level 3 technology. I'm detecting a fission power source."

(= =) "You know, I never understood why my Earth was level 2."

"The range of level three tech is quite large. While your Earth had electrical systems and engines, Interstellar law forbids alien technology greater than or equal to the planet's current technological age going to the public. With the rate you humans progress, your planet was due for an upgrade soon."

(~ ^) "Huh, good to know. Anyways, it doesn't seem like the robot has a target. It's just working at random." With recon done, he ran behind a dumpster. (^ ^) "It's Hero Time!"

One green flash later, the transformation finished. "It's time to face the Rath!" Considering that Rath already made a positive impression on the public, it would be for the best to not scare them with a different alien showing up. He's already had to deal with people back on the other Earth that he was starting an alien invasion.

Running down the block, he arrived at the scene. Several police officers were pinned down behind their squad cars, occasionally taking pot shots at the rampaging machine. While the robot was still bashing against a storefront, Ben took in the entire area and saw officers attempting to help people out of their overturned vehicles. They kept getting pushed back by the flying debris. Taking a few leaps, Rath landed alongside the officers. They immediately pointed their guns at the unexpected arrival, but Ben wasn't fazed. "Let me tell you something, officers! You want a piece of Rath, you got a piece, but Rath's only here to stop that." He pointed to the robot. "And help them." He pointed to the trapped civilians.