Chapter 12: Stepping Stones

When J finally accepted that Evan might be able to help find Jack, we set off to where Evan thought he might be. He thought that they might be holding him in one of their meeting places that he is aware of. Even though he’s given me reasons to trust him, I couldn’t help but doubt him a little, even after our deep conversation this morning.

We walked silently for a while, no one saying a word. Every now and again I would catch either J or Evan sending odd yet also striking glances and the other one. Then they would return it. I simple shrugged it off and carried on walking.

“So, are we anywhere near it yet?” I asked, breaking the sudden awkward silence.

“Yeah, nearly. Just round this corner then it should be……” Evan replied before J stopped and cut him off.

“Wait!” J said, stopping and staring into my eyes.

“What?” I asked, confused. “We’re nearly there what’s up?” I continued.

“Nothing, just, just why are you listening to him?”

“Because, I trust him.” I admitted, as I do, mostly. Evan then shot me a quick smile.

“Why?”

“Well why not? He hasn’t given me any reason not to.”

“Well, it’s just. He’s dangerous. Hasn’t it even occurred to you that this might be a trap?”

“No, yes. Well it’s not.” I said, but this didn’t get me thinking. “Why would it be a trap?”

“Maybe he’s still with his gang. Maybe this is all a trap to get you to go with them.” J suggested, continuing with his argument. Why was he doing this? We’re nearly there. We’re nearly able to reach Jack.

“That’s not true! I’ve already explained about my past group and that I’m not with them anymore.” Evan shouted, joining in.

“Well how can we be sure of that?”

“Well, I guess you can’t. You just have to trust me. Can’t you just forget about before?” He continued, now enforcing his side of the argument.

“What if I don’t want to trust you? And anyway what’s this got to do with what happened before? This has nothing to do with it. This is about you and your gang trying to trick Ali into going somewhere with you.” J insisted as he kept going.

“That’s not true!” Evan shouted back.

I suddenly realized that they were going to keep arguing until one of them gave up. I sensed that this was going to take a while and right now I don’t have the strength to argue. As they continued I swiftly made my way behind them towards a tree. I slumped against it and stared into space. They hadn’t even noticed I was gone. And what is it that they have against each other? I know it’s something to do with the past that they keep mentioning, but what? In the end I gave up asking questions that I knew no one would answer. After a few more minutes of listening to more arguing, I couldn’t take it anymore.

“Hey! Guys…….” I began to say to J and Evan before I was interrupted by a tall man standing over me.

“Hello Ali.” He said, still towering over me. I didn’t say anything at first.

“Um, who are you?” I asked, having trouble finding the words. He didn’t.

This man made me feel a bit timid and worried. This is a vibe I don’t normally get from people but when I do, it’s never a good sign. I turned back to J and Evan, they were still arguing. Without taking another look at the odd me in front of me, I tried to back away. But he didn’t let that happen.

“No so fast.” Said the man sternly. He put his hand on my shoulder and squeezed it tight. I clearly wasn’t going anywhere. That’s when I let out a little ‘help’ sound. It came out so quiet I didn’t think anyone heard me. But then I spotted Evan head turn from J and stare at me.

“Help.” I mouthed.

“I think he understood as the next thing he did was turn away from J and start running towards me shouting

“Leave her alone!” I was expected J to do the same, but he didn’t. He just stood there, as if ignoring the whole situation. As soon as the man who still had hold of me saw Evan, he grabbed me tighter and started leading me away.

“Evan! J!” I shouted before I felt his hand clasp my mouth. Without thinking, I bit his finger and as he let go and loosened his grip in pain, I kicked him hard and ran in the opposite direction. I had to get back to J and Evan, but I’m guessing that’s the first place he’ll go back to.

For endless minutes, I kept on running, not wanting to look back. When my pace started to fall, I came to a halt to catch my breath. I could feel I wasn’t alone but after everything that’s being going on, maybe I’m just paranoid. Even so, I soon quickened my pace yet again and kept going.

Soon I reached the road where I left J and Evan, only they weren’t there. No one is, I’m alone. At least I thought I was, until a hand grabbed my wrist and took me by surprised causing me to fall. I was then surrounded by people. One of them pulled me up and then tossed me over to another group which pushed me into a van. I struggled and fought but I was outnumbered. Then the original man which had approached me, cover my mouth yet again, only I couldn’t bite him and escape like last time.

“No more biting from you!” He said, his expression full of anger. Then my vision started to blur as I realized that he wasn’t allowing me to breath. I couldn’t keep this up for long. I kept my eyes open for as long as I could but in the end, I gave into the darkness which then consumer me. I fell unconscious in the van as it started to drive away. It was too late, and no one knows where I am. Maybe this is it, my end.