Chapter 10: Taken

“Jack! Jack!” I shouted, the front door swinging wide open behind me. There was no reply; I felt my heart start to beat uncontrollably fast. “Jack!” I tried again, but there was still no reply. I was going to run and search the house, but my mum got to be first.

“Oh Ali thank goodness your home!” Straight away I knew something was wrong, my mum’s never been this pleased to see me home before.

“Why? Mum what’s going on?” I asked anxiously, as I think I already knew but didn’t want to admit it.

“Jack’s missing!” She cried bursting into tears on a heap on my shoulder. At that moment I knew I was right. But even so I still looked up blankly at my dad who was hurrying my mum into the living room to calm down.

“Earlier he offered to run out and get some milk for your mum,” A typical Jack helpful moment. “But he never came back. He’s switched his phone off and we haven’t been able to reach him.” He said, looking worryingly at me. I could tears in his eyes. But he knew he had to be strong, for my mum until we find him.

“Ok. I’ll go out look for him.” I said, turning back to run out the door.

“No, not on your own you’re not. I’m coming with you. We’re not having two missing children.” This annoyed me as I can look after myself, unlike Jack. But I could tell that he’s just a bit paranoid because of Jack.

“No, dad. You stay here and look after mum. I’ll go.”

“I don’t want you going on your own. I know you’ll be careful but I don’t want you to go missing to!” Then, as quick as a switch, the anxious look in his teary eyes turned to loss and betrayal. I had to go alone, there’s no other way.

“Look I won’t be on my own. I’m going to and loo with ok.”

“Ok. Call us as soon as you have any news.”

“I will.” I said, speeding out of the door and round the corner.

Within a few minutes I reached the place where me and Evan were talking before. I was hoping he would be there, but unfortunately for me he wasn’t anywhere to be seen.

“Evan! Evan! I called, but he didn’t emerge. Then I saw my only option, J. Even though I hate J right now, and I bet he hates me to, he’s the only one I know that will help me. Without another second to think, I sprinted off towards J’s house.

“J! J!” I screamed banging on the door as soon as I reached his house.

“What Ali? I told you to get lost!” He yelled angrily string at me like some loon.

“Jack’s missing!” I said as calmly as I could although my lib was wobbling a bit. “And I know you’ve got something to do with it!” I continued, in a sharper tone that made him look at me properly.

“Ok, come on.” He hurried me in. We quickly went up to his bedroom. He shut the door and closed the window and curtains.

“So what’s going on? What do you know? And if Jack’s hurt and it’s all your fault then……!”

“I know.” He cut me off. “I never wanted this to happen they said they wouldn’t harm him!” He was pacing the room in frustration now.

“Look, I’m sorry. Just tell me!”

“Alright.” He paused, breathing in deeply and looking down. Then he said at me right in the eyes and told me everything. “Look, none of this was meant to happen it’s not my fault. They promised.”

“Who promised?”

“Just let me explain ok.”

“Ok.”

“A few weeks ago I was out with my mates in the park. I kicked the ball too far and went to get it. Then, I saw it lying behind two trees. I went through them to get it, it was the only way past, and then I realized I wasn’t at home anymore.” This reminded me of the day at the museum when I went into that world, the place where it all started. It also told me why J had been acting odd and tense when I mentioned the world. “At first I was confused; I didn’t know what to do. So I had a look around. Then I came to this alleyway, and I heard someone scream, so I went to have a look. I saw this man cry in front of this boy, and watch him turn to dust. I watched too. Then the man fled somewhere, I didn’t see. I was going to go and try and find a way back, when these other guys grabbed me.”

“So, what happened?”

“Well, they took me to this place, I didn’t know exactly where, I still don’t know. And they told me all about how the tear thing worked or the curse of the teas as they call it. I presume you already know about that.” I nodded, remembering mine and Evan’s earlier conversation. “Thought so.” He laughed.

“So, what did they want with you?” I asked, more curious than ever now that I know J knows the truth as well.

“They wanted my help.”

“Your help?”

“Yeah. You see they took me because I was an unseen witness at that tear incident, and they took me for information.”

“Did you give them any?”

“Yeah, I told them what I saw. They also said that if I saw anyone in the gang, that they showed me pictures of, then I need to contact them.”

“How?”

“I don’t know they never said how.” He paused. “And as well as that, they told me how the rings work.” This made me shiver as Jack’s disappearance is because of those stupid rings.

“Go on.”

“Then that brings me back to now, to Jack.”

“What did you meant when you said they promised not to harm him?”

“Well, when I asked if anyone I know, including me, is in danger by this, they said no.”

“They would.”

“Which is why I’m confused now. Whoever took Jack and gave him that ring, it isn’t them. It must be the gang.”

“Why didn’t you tell me this the other day?” I was angry now. Angry at him for not telling me earlier and making Jack and my family face the consequences.

“I don’t know. I guess I just didn’t want to believe it.” He looked down, hopefully feeling ashamed. “Look Ali, I’m sorry. I really am I never wanted this to happen.” I could tell he was sorry, but I didn’t want to forgive him just yet.

“Look I don’t care if you’re sorry or not, I’m just going to go out and look for him with or without your help. Even if it means going into the other world I don’t care, but I’m going to find him and stop this before anyone else has to suffer for it.” I shouted, losing my temper. He did nothing, so I stood up and headed for the door.

“Then I’m going with you.” He said, standing up as well and grabbing his jacket.

“Ok.” I said, racing down the stairs and heading for the front door.

“But only because I can’t let you go on your own.” He said, smiling.

“Shut up!” I replied, but for the first time in days, I cracked a smile.