Chapter 9: Knowing

Over the next few days I isolated myself from everyone else around me. J hadn’t been at school so it didn’t really make a lot of difference. It was Saturday today and I didn’t feel like boring myself at home so I went for a walk along the beach. It was quite a chilly day with the wind whipping through my hair and swirling across the sea. As I just sat, deep in thought, I felt the cool sea air twist and turn all around me.

After what felt like hours of sitting and thinking, I started to head home. I knew mum would go ballistic if I was late back for lunch, especially as my grandparents were coming. But my route was stopped when I saw who was stood in front of me. It was that boy again, that boy from the park in that world. He stood there, watching me. His sandy blond hair blowing in all directions and his piercing blue eyes boring into me. All I could do was stare and wonder who he really is, and what he knows. Then he started to walk away.

“Hey!” I called, but he didn’t look back. I ran after him.

I finally caught him on the near street. I didn’t know where he was heading. Instead of following him all day waiting for him to stop and talk, I pulled him round the corner and pinned him to the wall. To my surprise he didn’t resist, or shout and scream. Instead he let me hold still, and gazed into my eyes. I stared back. There was something there, something hidden that he doesn’t want to remember. But it’s still there, in his eyes.

After a while I began to loosen my grip. Then I let go completely and walked over and sat on a wall. To my surprise, he followed and sat next to me.

“Why are you here?” I asked, one of the many questions newly added to my list of unanswered ones.

“To help you. Or, at least try.” He replied, his voice soft and relaxed. Which is unusual given the last time we spoke he hated me.

“But why would you want to help me? You don’t even know me.” I asked, confused.

“Look, do you want my help or not?” He replied, ignoring my question.

“Ok. So, how can you help?”

“I need your ring.” This got me even more confused. What would he want with my ring? I bet there are plenty in his world.

“Why?” I asked, but he didn’t reply. After looking down a minute he jumped of the wall and stood in front of me.

“Look, if I tell you there’s no turning back. You’ll be in danger and there’s nothing I can do. If not, then give me the ring and I’ll go and all this will be over.” That reminded me of what people say in films, about no turning back. Normally it’s not true, but I sensed this time that it was.

“I need to know the true. Give it to me straight.” I said, jumping down myself and standing next to him.

“Alright. I did warn you.” He paused, looking around. “Come on.” He urged me while grabbing my arm. I pulled away but still followed. He led me down the street and behind a tall building.

“We should be safe here. No one can see us.” He said, sitting down relaxing again. Although I could still tell he was a little paranoid.

“Why wouldn’t we be? Who would see us?” I asked, trying to make sense of his riddles.

“Later. So here’s the truth. Are you sure you want to hear it?”

“I’m sure.”

“Ok, you loss if anything happens.”

“Just spit it out other world boy!” I said, getting impatient.

“Ok. Well for starters my name’s Evan, not other world boy, ok?”