Distracted: Chapter Thirteen

When Erin awoke, she studied Spence's sleeping profile and frowned. She once again felt embarrassed and shy and tried to slip out of the bed. Without opening his eyes, he caught her wrist and pulled her to him.

"Where are you going?"

She hesitated, unable to answer. When he turned his head and opened his eyes she blushed and stammered.

"Shhh, baby. It's okay." He kissed her gently and tucked her under his arm, pressing her head to his chest. Again, she could hear his heartbeat, steady and slow now. Timidly, she touched him, her fingers making slow sweeps along his abdomen. He caught her hand in his, placed the palm against his lips. A feeling of warmth washed over her and she snuggled against him.

"What do you want to do today?"

Erin had no reply; her mind a blank except for the sensation of his body against hers. She turned her back to him, curling into a ball. He nuzzled the back of her neck and, feeling her shiver, nipped it. Her legs straightened and she found his hands, cupped them under her breasts. She rubbed her bottom against him suggestively.

"Okay. We'll stay in," he said.

Later, they took a shower together and after a light lunch, strolled through the streets holding hands. She bought a straw hat to keep the sun from burning her nose. They stopped at a boutique and she found a colorful, cotton sundress she liked. He followed her into the changing room and helped her remove it, his hands on her body, his kisses drugging her. He chuckled at her dreamy expression.

"You like that?"

"Yes, I do."

Erin didn't realize it, caught up in her own euphoria, but Spence was enchanted by her every move. He couldn't stop watching her, couldn't keep his hands off of her. Every few minutes he stopped her for a kiss.

She accepted all of his attention without question. Being with Spence was the easiest and the most wonderful thing she had ever done, once she quit resisting.

They spent a week in Key West, exploring, eating, and making love. At every sunset, they stood shoulder-to-shoulder on Mallory Pier and watched the sky melt into hot orange, then brilliant pinks and purples.

They spent one night and late into the next morning on the "Duval Crawl," a favorite pastime of tourists and locals alike. The crawl consisted of barhopping on Duval Street and included famous places like Sloppy Joe's, as well as the not-so-famous, yet still charming, dives. Tequila flows like water in Key West, Erin thought.

They explored Old City, riding scooters and hopping trolleys. He leased a powerboat and took her deep-sea fishing, laughing with joy when she hooked -- then lost -- a marlin.

When it was time to leave, Erin shuffled several shopping bags into the spare berth. Spence had given her a necklace, a Key West bracelet, emerald earrings, several new bathing suits, and some interesting lingerie from a specialty store that also catered to the local drag queens.

Erin accepted his gifts with reluctance, embarrassed by his generosity but craving his smile, his approval. He silenced her protests with his relentless lips and warm, strong hands.

"Not fair, not fair," she murmured one morning as he pulled one of the emerald earrings out of the velvet box and placed it in her belly button.

"They're the same color as your eyes," he whispered, his tongue tracing her inner thigh.

Back on the catamaran, they explored shallow waters and cays where deep-drafted sailboats couldn't venture, and she perfected her tan, without lines. She discovered that she enjoyed lying around nude, while Spence stood at the wheel, his sunglasses on, the breeze whipping through his wavy hair. It was a luxurious life and they agreed to spend another week cruising the Keys.