Distracted: Chapter Ten

Six days into the passage, Spence pointed towards the coastline. "There's St. Augustine."

Erin shaded her eyes and followed his pointing finger. In the distance she could see bumps on the western horizon.

"Are we stopping there?"

"Would you like to?"

"Yes. I think I'm going stir crazy, looking at your goofy face all day. I need to see other people."

Spence smiled. "Goofy? Well, at least I'm not a sour puss."

"I'm not a sour puss. I need to walk around on dry land. And I could use some things. We left so quickly, I left a lot behind."

"That's the point, sweetheart. Travel light."

"Well, there are some things a woman needs. And right now, chocolate is one of them."

Spence nodded wisely. "Ah yes. Things a woman needs. Can do."

Spence and Erin were not a well-oiled team, still three hours later they managed to drop the sails and motor in to the St. Augustine Municipal Marina. A quick call on the VHF reserved the huge catamaran an outside slip, making it easy and convenient to dock.

After helping to secure Fusion to the pier, Erin grabbed her purse and headed for the marina's chandlery. Spence checked all of the through-hull fittings for leaks and, finding none, he turned off the power. They agreed to meet at the front of the marina. The sun would be setting within an hour, so they would have time to walk the neighborhood and find a restaurant.

Erin was fidgeting by the time he arrived at the marina store. "Come on. Hurry up."

Spence took her hand. "What's your hurry?"

She tried to tug her hand free. He held it tighter.

"I want to look around before its dark." She lifted her chin and sniffed. "Do you smell that?"

"What?"

"Trash. Exhaust fumes. People."

"You like that?" He shook his head in wonder.

"No, not really but I miss it. Remember, I live in the city."

They strolled towards the historic district, admiring the Spanish architecture. Dozens of small shops lined the streets, many with tables arranged outdoors. Erin stopped to admire the preserved alligator heads, carved coconut faces, postcards and citrus-themed snow globes.

They walked past several restaurants until Erin froze in front of The Columbia. She inhaled the exotic aromas of the famous Spanish restaurant, then pulled Spence inside.

"Hello. Dinner for two? Do you have reservations?" A lovely, dark-haired young hostess greeted them as they walked in the plush restaurant.

"Two, please. No, we don't have reservations." Spence smiled, offering his hand to the hostess. She smiled in return.

"One moment; let me check." She consulted a chart on her podium, then made a mark and picked up two menus. "Follow me, please."

She ushered Spence and Erin past a row of people also waiting for tables. Erin avoided their faces, feeling a bit guilty that Spence's sex appeal meant prompt seating. Once at the table, however, she shed her remorse, read the menu and began to salivate.

After a waiter took their drink order, Erin glanced over the top of her menu at Spence. "What are you getting?"

"I'm not sure."

"Want to share an appetizer? Maybe two?"

Spence frowned. "What you are thinking?"

"Well, I'm going to order the Queso Fundido. Mmmm, warm cheese and toasty Cuban bread. But I also want the empanadas. The beefy turnovers with salsa."

"I'll consider sharing if we can add the jumbo chilled shrimp."

"You've got a deal."

For her entrée, Erin ordered the house special, a broiled center-cut filet mignon. Spence asked for the red snapper.

"Excellent choice, sir. That recipe was created by the owner's grandfather many years ago. It comes with our highest recommendation." The waiter filled his tablet and scurried away.

Erin sipped the red wine Spence had chosen, closing her eyes. "This is decadent. It's exactly what I needed. Sorry, I'm not much of a sailor, am I?"

"It's your first voyage. It's like camping out. You have to get used to doing without a lot of amenities."

"Hah! That's a floating palace. You've even got a washing machine, for God's sake. You've got TV, the Internet and satellite radio. You even have gallons of sunscreen so the babes can oil you down. You're not suffering."

"I didn't say I was suffering. I enjoy sailing and I like my toys. You want me to apologize?"

Erin rolled her eyes and took another sip. She wondered if she was becoming one of his "toys."

"What's the problem? Why are you angry? Did I offend you?"

She shook her head stubbornly. "No. I'm not upset."

"Are you sure? Is there anything I can do?"

She pounced. "Yes, there is. You can buckle down and get to work on the book. You've been wasting too much time the past two days fishing."

"Fishing? Trolling a line isn't fishing. And it doesn't waste time. I eat what I catch, don't I?"

"I don't eat fish, so it isn't making my life convenient."

"Ah, I understand now. You've been eating your own cooking this week and you don't like it."

He wouldn't understand, Erin thought. She didn't even understand. During the past few days, she had struggled with the fact that she was attracted to him. Yet he seemed impervious. Sure, he was considerate and easy going and he always used endearments when he talked to her. But to a man like Stephen Spence, every woman was a "babe" or a "honey."

"I needed a night out. Some not-so-fresh air, I guess."

The dinner ended too soon, she thought, but they took their time walking downtown before heading back to the marina. As the night deepened, people filled the streets. Doors to taverns were opened, beckoning them. They stopped at a noisy bar and Spence ordered them both mojitos.

"This is delicious," Erin exclaimed. "What's in it?"

The young bartender leaned on the mahogany counter, admiring Erin. "It's a combination of rum, simple sugar, mint and soda." He grinned, his teeth bright in the dim bar.

Erin smiled at the handsome man. "It's wonderful."

"It's on the house, pretty lady," he replied, winking at her.

She thanked him and smirked at Spence.

Spence smiled good-naturedly. He understood perfectly well.

She considered her flirtation with the bartender as tit-for-tat for the Columbia's hostess. Obviously, she hadn't seen the twenty he had palmed and handed to the young woman at the restaurant. He tipped the bartender generously when they departed.

Back aboard the boat, Erin put her leftovers in the refrigerator and said good night. With a large hot water heater and its own water maker, Fusion's shower was a refuge from her conflicting emotions.

As she crawled beneath the soft comforter, the boat rocking gently, Erin hugged her pillow to her chest. In the dark, she found it easy to let her mind wander. To imagine Spence sleeping in his berth on the far side of the boat. She allowed herself to fantasize about how it would feel to rest her head against him. She hiked her pillow up until it felt like a warm shoulder, closed her eyes and smiled.

------------------------------ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ --------------------------

Hey, what's up? I hope you're enjoying my book. Please don't forget to vote, comment, share! Thank you so much!