Distracted: Chapter Five

Erin spent a restless night alone in Spence's house. She read in bed until after midnight, then tossed and turned for several more hours. She didn't like to lose control, but every conversation she had with him left her reeling. She could deny the attraction, but Spence conjured feelings she'd prefer to ignore. On one hand, he flattered her with his cajoling and flirtatious manner. On the other, he infuriated her with his indolence and lack of concern.

Most of her clients were scholars, compulsive obsessive types she understood since she experienced a mild version of the disorder. She needed control, and it distressed her that Spence couldn't care less.

She crawled out of bed the next morning, bleary eyed and resentful. She played her cell phone messages while she ate a bowl of cereal. Aidan left another communication, this one belligerent and demanding she return his call. With grim satisfaction, she punched in his phone number. When he answered, she snarled at him. "What gives you the right to call me and tell me what to do? Don't you ever do that again, you hear me?"

Confused, Aidan apologized. "I'm sorry, Erin. I was worried about you. I haven't heard from you in several days. I didn't know if you were all right or not."

She closed her eyes in resignation. "I know. It's okay. I've had a rough couple days and I'm tired. My client is not the easiest person to work with," she said, rubbing her forehead.

"Why don't you pass on this job and come home?" he asked.

"No, I'm not going to do that," she said, taking a deep breath as she defended her decision. "Patricia depends upon me to get the job done, even if it means working with the obstinate ones," she said, referring to difficult clients.

"Well, I'm here if you need to talk," Aidan offered.

His soothing voice calmed her and they spoke about his work in the lab. She let him lead the conversation, not wanting to talk about Stephen Spence and his unsettling behavior. She rang off with a promise to call him in a couple days. Despite the hurt and disappointment he'd caused during the final year of their marriage, she still cared for Aidan.

She decided a stroll would help clear the cobwebs, so she slipped on a pair of flip-flops and walked out the door to the deck. She left the screen door unlocked this time and after several minutes of searching, found the trail through the sea grass that led to the beach.

When she reached the shore, she walked in the waves, her flip flops dangling in her hand. She walked about a half a mile, before turning back. When she neared the house, she paused in the shallows, letting the waves bury her feet in the sand. She felt the tiny coquina shells tickling her toes. She startled, jumping out of the sand when a soft voice spoke next to her.

"I like do that too," the small boy said. He kicked off his sandals and rolled his pants legs over his knees. Then he walked into the shallows and wiggled his toes until the sand covered them. He chortled, which brought his black-and-white border collie careening over the sand dune. The frisky dog joined the fun, bouncing in the water and splashing Erin and the boy. They laughed together at its antics.

The boy measured her, approval in his brilliant blue eyes. "I like the way you laugh," he said. "My name is Jonathan. What's yours?"

"My name is Erin," she said, smiling at the imp. "I'm visiting Mr. Spence."

"I know him. He lives in the big gray house," Jonathan said. "He's a nice man. My daddy likes him a lot."

"Yes, he is a nice man," she agreed, looking around. "Where's your daddy? Isn't he here with you today?"

At that moment, she heard Jonathan's father calling for him. The little boy looked sheepish. "Over here, Daddy," he called.

He turned to Erin, a frown darkening his face. "I forgot to tell him me and Moxie were playing outside. Boy, I'm going to be in trouble now."