Chapter 52.

Edited by KitWulf                                        12-6-2021

*

"Do you now realize why you are so important to us?" Marric beckoned for her to come over.

Azura was standing a bit away from the table, staring out windows that weren't there, and pretended to not see him. She longed for fresh air, to feel the sun on her face, and a long run to clear her head.

"Your ancient soul is the key to the survival of our kind." Marric continued, undisturbed by her ignoring him. "That's why we asked you to come and Killian has done an excellent job of bringing you back. It's only fair you know the truth about who you are and the history you and your mother have here."

It'd been a couple of hours since Lucas had left with Zahair and she hadn't seen or heard from them since. During this time Marric had talked more, elaborating on the importance of ancient souls and their purpose on earth. It all had sounded a bit over the top to her and she had caught herself barely listening at times as she was getting more and more worried about Lucas's whereabouts. Sometimes Marric left for a short while, leaving her alone with two guards and Killian. The rest had been ordered to leave and the times they were left alone were filled with just the sounds of their breathing. It was killing her from the inside and her nerves were crawling up the walls.

"Killian?" Her voice seemed to echo along the walls and triple in volume. "Where are Lucas and Zahair?"

His uncertainty showed for a brief moment before the cold facade took over again. He was worried just as she was.

"With Marric's advisors just as he said they would be." There was no emotion in his voice as he spoke but his eyes pleaded for her to stop talking.

Taking the hint, she'd remained silent and tried to focus on some good memories to keep her from going insane. She'd suspected Killian's coldness had to do with the head guard, who was the same that had interrupted them this morning. He seemed to hold more power than any other guard and they clearly weren't on the same page. Bored out of her mind, she had dubbed him Xav and the other guy Hav.

Even with lunch, neither Lucas nor Zahair were present and Marric had left her alone for that time as well. Xav also disappeared and Azura had hoped she would be able to talk to Killian then, but again he kept his distance. She'd been aching to speak to him even more as Zahair and Lucas were still gone. Unfortunately, Hav was keeping a close eye on them. The two men sometimes conversed so quietly she couldn't overhear them but these moments were short. Talking to Killian in private wouldn't happen anytime soon.

Marric returned soon after she was done shoving the food around her plate. Several of his lackeys followed and took their former positions at some of the doors. Xav followed not far behind and took the remainder of the lunch away. Hav and Killian both hadn't eaten much either. Before Marric even managed to sit down, Azura spoke up. The fire within sparked and enhanced her annoyance.

"When is Lucas coming back? There's no need for him to be elsewhere. I want him to hear all this." Growing impatient without her partner by her side; the fact she felt like she needed him was something she didn't like at all.

"He's fine. My advisors are with him, discussing terms and ways to reunite our two species. I've been there a couple of times to check in on them. It's a good thing you brought him here you know, seeing what type of soul he has. He knows his kind the best, of course, and I really want this to work."

Marric smiled at her but she noticed it was just his lips again. His eyes told her something else but she wasn't sure what it was yet exactly. A cold chill ran down her back; a sign she'd ignored in the past but wouldn't now. Something was amiss, but what, she couldn't yet say.