Chapter 2.

Edited on 1-25-2020 by KitWulf

*

The rays of the sun warmed Azura's face, causing her to softly groan and turn around in bed. Something was off, but the bed was really comfortable so she hugged the pillow and curled up into a fetus position trying to fall back into that deep, peaceful slumber.

Peaceful. It had been peaceful.

Azura opened her eyes in shock and shot straight up as fear gripped her by the throat. Her body had reacted sooner than her mind could comprehend and it took her a moment to calm her spiking heart rate down. She had a long and peaceful sleep. No nightmares had plagued her, no voices spoke in condemning whispers, and no flames haunted her mind or body.

She also had no idea where she was.

As she looked down and noticed she was still in the same clothes she had worn the day before, Azura scrunched her eyebrows together. Realization dawned that she'd not used the blanket at all and yet it had been one of the most comfortable nights she's ever had in almost three years.

As her heart rate calmed down, she felt a splitting headache forming in her head as some memories of the day before trickled into her mind. Azura groaned softly as she dug the palms of her hands into her temples, moving them in a massage in hopes to ease the dull throbbing. It helped a little and after a few minutes, she got out of bed and walked over to the window where the sun had been shining through so brightly.

The curtains had been left open and the view was amazing. The white of the snow outside, a pine forest in the background, fluffy clouds together in the sky with the sun beaming down, it made everything sparkle and shine. Azura had to close her eyes to tiny slits so the bright light didn't invade her eyesight as much.

"It looks like a damn painting out there..." She softly mumbled to herself as she turned around and spotted her travel backpack on the ground. Making sure she moved slowly so as not to put more strain on her head, she got out of her old clothes and put on a pair of clean jeans and a simple hoodie.

Azura straightened herself as she took one last glance at the simple room she had been staying in. A small one-person bed was what she'd slept in, and there were a couple of closets placed in the room, but for the rest, it was empty. By now, more bits and pieces of the day before had connected in her head and she knew exactly where she was.

"This...is going to be awkward." She couldn't help but mutter it aloud to herself as she reluctantly turned to leave. As she placed her hand on the door handle, Azura closed her eyes and took a couple of deep breaths before turning it down and opening the door.

She was on the top level in what appeared to be a small rustic farmhouse. The living room was beneath her and seemed to be put together by old furniture, which probably came from the thrift store. It made for an unusual mix and match, yet still ended up making a cozy place. There was even a small fireplace with a big deer head and antlers placed above it.

Azura smirked as she took everything in. This was not what she had expected from the ever-cheerful Lucas as she'd gotten to know him three years ago.

"Azu? Are you finally up?"

Even though she was half expecting it, Lucas's voice still startled her as he called out from the kitchen. Not soon after calling out to her, he emerged while drying off a glass. Her gaze followed him from the moment he appeared.

He had not changed much, but he had matured in his face. His hair was a bit longer than it had been three years ago, and his beard stubble seemed fuller in a way. She could still his green eyes though, the same green eyes that had surprised her back then.