Chapter 1.

Edited by the wonderful @KitWulf Thank you so much!

*

How could an entrance to a youth hostel be so daunting?
Azura swiped a few strands of black hair out of her face that were clinging to her damp forehead. She was burning up while the piercing cold wind continued swirling snowflakes around her. The snowfall was getting heavier and a chill ran down her spine as she felt a melted drop of water slip underneath her jacket to her spine. She twisted the golden ring around her finger desperately as she made up her mind.

This was her last option to get a bed for the night, otherwise, she would have to spend the night outside once again. It was not something to look forward to as she already felt anxious enough. Facing the receptionist of the hostel while being close to a panic attack felt more appealing at this moment than having to find a place to hide her backpack and clothes and shift to her snow leopard to sleep. Besides, a hot shower to calm her down was much needed.

With that lodged in her mind, Azura took a deep breath, opened the door, and made her way to the front desk.

The moment she stepped inside, her fists clenched tightly and her breath faltered for a second as widened eyes scanned the environment hastily. Being inside a place like this felt like being smothered by a huge weight, making it so much harder to breathe. There was too much noise, too many people, and the walls seemed to close in on her at a rapid speed.

Azura blinked a couple of times and tried to swallow her anxiety down. She just needed to hold on a little longer. As she gripped the receptionist's desk for support, it was noticed just how much her hands were actually shaking. She flared her nostrils and took a deep breath before looking up and facing the awaiting woman.

The lady's face was gentle and kind with a hint of concern written over it, she felt her eyes as they scanned her over. Azura knew she didn't look so great, the last time she'd looked at herself she was shocked by her pale complexion, thin frame, and blue eyes that lay deep in her skull as if she hadn't slept in weeks.

"I would like a bed for the night, please." Azura tried to make her voice sound as normal as possible as she kept her gaze locked with the receptionist. It was the only thing keeping her sane. The soft, gentle green eyes staring back at her blinked a few times before they averted to the computer and eventually back to her.

"First of all, welcome to Pleyvale Hostel." The woman flashed Azura a sweet smile as she clearly didn't know how to react to her. "I'm so sorry, but we're fully booked. It's the high season and we just had a school class check-in. I'm sure one of the hotels has a room still available... To be honest you look like you could use a room by yourself more than sharing one with at least five others."

Azura tightened her hold on the counter turning her fingers and knuckles white. The desk clerk had a point, she would not do well in a shared dorm room, but she just didn't have the money for a hotel room right now. She let out a soft groan and nodded in understanding.

"Thank you for checking. I understand." She squeezed her eyes shut for a moment and let out a short huff before pushing herself away from the counter. She'd been leaning on it far more than she'd expected.

Azura turned around without waiting for a reply and grabbed her backpack, swinging it onto her back.

"Wait! Are you sure you're okay?

No, she sure as hell wasn't. Azura stopped as she stared at her feet. Her lip had started to tremble softly and she clenched her fists so tight her nails dug into the palms of her hands.

She forced herself to turn around with a meek smile on her face. Her gaze shifted from the floor up to the woman, and as she focused on the contours of her face, they started to move, changing ever so slightly. They were shifting, turning around, the lips changing from full and plump to thin, then even disappearing.