Chapter Fourteen- We're Not Celebrities

I almost had a heart attack when I woke up.

 It took me a minute to realise that I had rolled off of the sofa and onto the living room floor. My head had never felt so much pain and I could feel empty alcohol bottles and cans around me. I had to squint against the morning light… I wish I’d kept my eyes shut, to be honest.

 My only thought; what the fuck?

 People that I didn’t even know were asleep on every available surface; the sofa, the armchair, the floor. It wasn’t a surprise that I had fallen off the sofa, considering I was sharing it with three other people- George included. I stumbled to my feet and had to grab onto the arm of the sofa to stop myself from falling over. I felt so dizzy… major hangover.

 I tried to pick my way through the people and the rubbish that littered the ground without waking anyone up, occasionally they stirred a little though. In the kitchen it was the same- people everywhere, alcohol and food everywhere. Someone was curled up asleep on the kitchen table clutching a saucepan. I ran my hands through my hair and then immediately regretted it because apparently someone had poured a beer over my head at some point during the night. I left the kitchen and there were even more people in the hall. I had to make my way around a girl who was asleep on the stairs. People were in every room up there too, apart from Jake’s mum and dad room which had remained locked. I was glad about that- imagine if it got trashed? Jake would be ruined.

 I was just opening the bathroom window to let some fresh air inside- it stank of vomit- when Jake surfaced from underneath two people who had fallen asleep on top of him in the bath.

 “Dude… the fuck happened?” he asked quietly. His bleary eyes were barely open.

 “You think I know?” I whispered.

 I took him downstairs to survey the damage and he groaned. He grabbed the saucepan from the guy asleep on the kitchen table, picked up a spoon and started hitting it against the pan. He winced at the amount of noise it made and I clapped my hands over my ears- it wasn’t like I already had a major headache or anything.

 “C’mon people, look alive! Everyone wake up!” he shouted. He moved from room to room and there was a collective groan from the people as they roused from their slumber.

 George moaned as he woke up and made his way over to me. I put my arm around his shoulders and he blocked the light from his eyes by pressing his face to my shoulder.

 “Great party, guys. Epic gig!”

 “When will you next be playing Skull? Soon? Will it be soon?”

 “Could I hire you to play at my birthday party?”

 “JAKE, I LOVE YOU! I WANT TO HAVE YOUR BABIES!”

 Slowly the house emptied and we had to put on happy faces and say goodbye to everyone. Some people wanted photos, others wanted us to sign things. I wondered how we were already famous to these guys even though we’d only played two gigs. George asked a girl why everyone was so hyped up about us.

 “Imagine if you get famous! And I was one of the first people to get your signature!” she replied.

 Maisy was hanging onto Matt’s arm, determined to show any girls that she was his girlfriend. I was wary every time a girl approached George- and he got a lot of attention from the girls- but he never kissed any of them when they asked, he just laughed and hugged them. I wanted to talk to him about it later.

 I could tell Bex was scared by all the people, but as the house cleared she became more and more relaxed.

 I pulled out my phone and saw I had about a million missed calls and messages from my mother, all saying the show was great.