Chapter Nine- This Is The Best Day Ever

“Guys, what the fuck am I doing?”

 Matt was knelt on the ground with his heads in his hands. Rich knelt down beside him and rubbed his back soothingly.

 “C’mon guys, we can do this!” Rich said, but even in his voice there was a hint of anxiety.

 George was murmuring to himself, pacing backwards and forwards. I wanted to go to him but I was too scared to move. I looked over to where Bryan was lying on the floor with his hands covering his face. Then I turned my attention to the huge pile of empty alcohol bottles and cans in the corner of our little pre-performance room. Had we seriously drunk all of that? Whilst the alcohol was definitely starting to help me loosen up, I was also feeling even more nauseous than I had earlier. I looked over at Jake who was quietly strumming his unplugged guitar, staring into space, trying not to think of what was about to happen.

 “It’s just a shitty little start-off gig-”

 “Yeah, in fucking Skull!” Jake snapped suddenly- the first thing he had said in a while. “Have you got any idea how many people there are potentially waiting for us out there?”

 “That’s not really helping!” Rich hissed, nodding pointedly at Matt who had groaned and rolled onto his side on the floor.

 George walked over to me and I looked into his eyes; his beautiful, large, hazel eyes, carefully outlined in black.

 “I can’t do this, James. I can’t sing in front of people. I can’t even sing.” he whispered.

 “One minute!” a guy from the club told us as he poked his head around the door. He disappeared again quickly.

 “Guys, huddle up!” I said, and they all sighed and we got into a circle, arms round each other.

 “Now, listen up dudes…” Rich started. “…we can do this, and we can do this well. I know we can. Gee, you’re an amazing singer, all you need to do is be on that stage. Just pretend you’re singing for one person.” All eyes flickered to me. “Bryan, all you have to do is keep the tempo and be your usual awesome self. If you get lost or forget what to do next, just make up shit, it normally sounds better when you’re free. Jake, James, we’ve gone over our parts a thousand times, probably more. We know them well- trust me. And Matt, you’re far more talented than you think. It’s just the nerves holding you back. Let them go.”

 “Sons and daughters of rock, how are you doing tonight?” A man was saying over a microphone. I tried to shut me ears to the shout of the crowd.

 Why the hell had we chosen a place so popular for our first gig? I didn’t feel ready to play in front of one person, let alone a crowd. But I was being ushered towards the door, and I locked eyes with George and reached out for his hand. He squeezed mine back, anxiety so plain on his face. I leaned forward and pressed my lips to his. Then we walked through the door and down the narrow corridor. Butterflies wearing army boots trampled their way around my stomach… I was going to be sick…

 We had to wait in the corridor for a moment and I nearly turned round and ran. But Rich had his false yet somehow encouraging smile on his face, and if I bailed so would Matt and we both knew we would never try again. I took a deep breath… The door ahead was opening and I felt the heat of the club hit me. The club goers were shouting for music, anything they could crash around to. Rich walked through the door and disappeared. Bryan pushed Matt through the door before following him. Jake almost looked green with nausea as he walked forwards and out of sight. I squeezed George’s hand one last time and released him as I walked through the door and onto the cramped platform stage. George, the front man, came on last.