Attract or repel?

If there's something more bothering that a lime green font on a cover, it's a monotone graphic. 

That graphic that does not stand out, that does not have that . . . thing that attracts you to it; that pop ups and punches you in the face - okay, well no, but it's unexpected. 

I see many things in the MDC, from neon orange backgrounds with pinks and blues and weird palettes, to a thing that's not even a proper thing. But I also see designers with potential, that do not get requests or tags or whatever. One common thing I find is the lack of that pop up element that attracts people, the thing you need in a cover to catch a reader's attention, or the icon to make someone go to your profile. 

So this chapter will be about adding those elements and making things outstand.

Four ways of making something outstand:

#1: choose a color to predominate the graphic, and 1 or 2 colors that do contrast and stand out, without clashing. Keep in mind the range of colors of the pictures and resources used. 

#2: for the text, use a color that does constrast with the whole graphic. If the cover's dark, use a light-ish color, white for example (white is always a safe pick). Or a lighter or darker shade of the most present color of the cover. You could also try adding some effects to it, bevel, drop shadow and stroke may work, as well.

#3: make the object you want the focus on lighter or darker accordingly. You can also add things that lead the attention to it. A strand, a branch, a path of circles, anything! Even some arrows could work, they direct the attention towards something. 

#4: make the graphic vivid, unless otherwise said by the requester. Vivid colors attract people, it's more appealing to the eye than a greyscale theme. Make it bright, stand out. Get a lot of contrast, make the difference between black and white and different tones of a color. 

These are four simple ways of making your graphic stand out among others. Remember what you make does an effect on the people who see it, so are you going to attract them, or drive them away?