Grey's Tips: two; decoding requests.

TWO: DECODING REQUESTS (AND USING MIND READING POWERS TO DO SO. NO.)

When someone requests, you're somewhat pumped to do a new graphic, right? 

Wrong. 

When a request is vague and without ideas and solid things, a designer has to get through a round of mind reading to see what the hell the requester even wants. But, there are ways to avoid this from happening. (I know, I know, you guys are probably like wtf man, what does this even has to do with the whole point of designing? It's useful, just you see.) 

The form: make the requester use your form. C'mon, the form is basically what tells you what to do, your cheat sheet. Doesn't matter if the form has twenty things to fill, put what you need to know. It's very helpful if you ask mood/colors/genre, this basically tells you what things to choose, from PSDs to textures and stocks. You might also want to ask whether they want it heavily manipulated or simple, or if they have specific stocks to use (you don't always have to use them though, sometimes it's better having good quality than using it). Ask whatever you might need. 

And, clue words. Sometimes, people write in their requests things such as: I want it moody, but not too moody, get it? No, we don't. 

But see, this is where we start with our superpowers of reading minds to see what they want. Nopes, you just gotta guess what's their meaning for moody but not too moody. What generally means moody is just an extreme. Or too sad, or too happy, right? I generally just skip the moody part, and go to the part where it usually says: sad, but light.

Usually, sad is grey, black and white, and desaturated colors. What's the deal with it? You gotta put lots of 'sad' colors, but with bright things. Use lightning textures, put bright gradients and add things you'd usually see in bright graphics. 

Example; romantic and fun: romance equals hearts, roses, flowers and red and pink. And fun, usually something that makes you smile, or someone smiling. Or something just plain funny looking. To mix these two, you can: put lots of reds and pinks, something that is connected with love, and then, put something that equals fun, such as someone smiling, or jumping or whatever. 

The point of this, is trying to see what the requester wants. See the clue words of the form, and use a good form.