{𝕿𝖜𝖔 𝖛𝖘 𝕸𝖎𝖑𝖑𝖎𝖔𝖓𝖘}

Currently on holiday in Europe so can't update as regularly.

Either way. Enjoy!

*******

*ALEC'S POV*

Camille was still asleep, curled up against my chest, her face smooth and clear of all the worry lines she was beginning to wear permanently on her face these days. I stroked her hair absentmindedly, thinking back to Magnus' party.

When she'd fallen off that ledge...I didn't know what I was going to do. In the seconds I believed she was going to die, I felt a piece of me start to die, too. Cami suddenly stirs in my arms and I release her hair, resting my hand on her back instead.

"Morning, sleepyhead" I chuckle

"Morning" she yawns, rolling to face me, "How long have you been awake?"

"Few hours"

"Hours?!" She gapes, "Alec, why didn't you wake me up? Or at least push me off so you could get off the bed?"

My mind drifts back to the picture of her sleeping, peaceful face...No. I could never have woken her up.

"I wanted to let you sleep. Peaceful nights are few and far between these days" I respond, brushing a strand of hair behind her ear, "Besides, I didn't want to move anywhere."

She smiles softly, resting her head in my palm, kissing it gently. I notice her pensive expression and my once easy smile turns into a frown

"What are you thinking about?"

"How many Downworlders do you think live in New York?" She asks me, the tormented look growing behind her eyes

I catch on instantly to the meaning behind her words, "I don't know, but, Cami, they're not all your responsibility"

"But you are"

"I'm not a Downworlder" I remind her

"Yes, but, Valentine will come for me soon...maybe Clary, too. Possibly Jace." She counters, "And if he gets me, or her...that could be the end for every Downworlder. Simon, Magnus, Luke..."

"I would never let that happen"

"I know...but this is just...it's different"

"Cami, I know things may seem bleak, but..." I sigh, "Nothing was as devastating as seeing you standing on that ledge."

"It was the magic, Alec" She assures me, a panicked look on her face, "I would never, never..."

"I know, I know" I agree, our voices overlapping, "But magic can't create fears, only bring them out."

"Alec-"

"Look, you don't have to explain yourself. Just promise you'll tell me if things ever get that bad"

"I-" She's cut off by the sound of her phone ringing. She rolls over, and grabs it, her forehead creasing in a frown, "It's Magnus. He'd never call this early if it wasn't important."

She answered the call quickly, ushering a small, rapid greeting before listening to Magnus' spiel. Her face instantly turned a shocking, ashy white.

"Ok" she nods robotically, "We'll be there soon. Send a portal in 10."

"What's wrong?" I ask, worried, as she shoots out of bed and straight for last night's jeans

"It's Clary" she breathes, the concern on her features so overwhelming I feel like wrapping her up and running away with her, "She's in trouble."